David.D

Fuel filller boot replacement for '69 with late model tank?

6 posts / 492 viewsLast Reply

I'm unsure which rubber fuel neck boot is best for my 69 02. It has a newer tank with the longer metal neck. Right now it has an early style boot on it -- with a nickle-sized hole in it where the metal filler neck has rubbed against the inside of the rubber boot.

1. Will the shorter, later model boot fit (or fit better) than an early style boot?

2. Does the tank need to come out to replace the boot? I spent an hour today trying to get the old one off before giving up. There seems to be not quite enough clearance betwen the metal fuel tank neck and the side of the car for the boot to slip off; am I missing something?

1- no, sadly it won't.  Unless you do bodywork to the fender itself to graft on the later filler neck at the quarter panel.  They attach very differently.  The later one is, in my 2c, safer.  But unless you're

in mid- restoration and happen to have the later sheet metal, it's a huge mess to make just to change the neck..

2- it did on the car we have that's that way- at least, the old, stiff boot just wouldn't come off any other way.  A new softer one might go on- or might tear.... I reused the old boot.

hth,

t

I replaced the boot in my 69- the early ones are much thicker and harder to install. Maybe you can cut the tank filler a little- but clean out the tank to avoid a fire while cutting it.

When I replaced mine with the late style tank I just cut the off the neck to match the early tank height.  Then you don't have to mess with trying to adapt a newer filler cap assembly at the fender opening. 

If you decide to shorten the tank's filler pipe to accommodate the early style boot, BE VERY CAREFUL!   Gas fumes are heavier than air, and it only takes a little spark--from your hack saw, Dremel cutting wheel etc to cause an explosion.

Drain the tank*, remove it from the car and either let it sit for several days to clear out all the fumes, or fill it with hot water, cut the pipe, then drain it whlle the water is still hot.  Finally, position the tank so any remaining water drops will run out the filler neck.   Make sure it's nice and dry before you put fresh gas in.  Use some silicone grease to install the new rubber boot.  

Just BE CAREFUL.  Gas is very scary stuff (ask me how I know!)

mike

* And if you drain the tank while it's still in the car, run a ground strap from bare metal on the car either to the drain pan or can (if metal) or to ground so the flowing gas won't set up a static electricity charge.  

Edited by mike

The other part to that is that the original tank has a nipple to retain the boot.

The later tank does not.

If you cut the tank to the original height, in an accident, the filler moves forwards

and out, and will pull the boot off the tank with only a minor fender- bender.

The lack of bead will only make that more likely.

So our version was to shorten the filler somewhat, but leave it a lot longer than

the OE early tank, and then bead it as well.

Haven't crash- tested it yet...

t