Leesnap

Five speed conversion

10 posts / 967 viewsLast Reply

Hello all and merry Christmas! After 10 years I'm finally getting around to mobilizing my 74 2002 project after not driving it since the kids came!

Actually the car was put away in great shape but I'd like to do some upgrades so I am requesting some advice.

1- I'd like to do a five speed conversion, does anyone know of a reputable shop near boston that can do this task? I am not capable of this swap but I can tinker around a bit

2- there is a parts car for sale up here local (a 76) that has the five speed conversion already in it for $2000 with some decent parts as well....is that worth it for me to buy and salvage at least the tranny, etc and some other parts? Any help appreciated and thanks to Anton for selling me that rear shorty bumper conversion kit, well done.

Thank you,

Lee

$2,000 is maybe a bit spendy. Depends how decent it is really. Always good to have a spares car if you have space etc. Go for it!

Get it back out on the road ASAP and enjoy driving it.

You might also keep an eye out for an E21 parts car (80-83 320i) that will have a 5 speed and most of the pieces you'll need to do a conversion.  There were more E21s sold than 2002s, and they're not nearly as collectible or popular so you might be able to get a rusty one (with a good tranny) cheap--ar at least cheaper than an '02 with a 5 speed conversion already installed.

There are tons of posts/blogs on the FAQ about 5 speed conversions with comprehensive lists of parts needed, discussions about the best 5 speed to use etc. so you'll have no trouble rounding up the necessary parts.  Boston is a BMW hotbed (after all, the CCA was started there by 2002 enthusiasts back in 1969) so there are plenty of specialty shops.  Ask someone local for recommendations.

Recommendation:  get everything running/operating properly, then start rounding up conversion parts, starting with the tranny (the most difficult part to find).  Then do the conversion.  

cheers and good luck.

mike

PS--welcome back to the fraternity/sorority

These days, the parts to do the 5- speed conversion can easily set you back over $1k,

so if there are a lot of other parts you want/need/must have, that's probably not a terrible deal.

Especially if you can dicker it down to $1750.

It's also a matter of you- if you LIKE taking things apart, having spares, etc,

then why not?  And if you pull the 5- speed conversion, you now know how

to put it into your car, and that'll save you close to a grand, right there.

But that's the kind of person I am, maybe not you.

t

EDIT: What Toby said... 

Yes welcome back. I've been away for a bunch of years as well... good you came back!

If you do a clutch at the same time, you will probably spend $1,000 - $1,500 on parts for the 5-speed conversion. ($500 for a gearbox, $250-$300 for driveshaft and work, $300 on clutch stuff/parts and another couple hundred on the tabs or kit and things like guibo, mounts, fasteners, speedo and other miscellaneous stuff) If there are any other decent bits on the '76 (seats) you may be break even or ahead on the car just parting it. What rear end does it have?

If you can afford it I'd say buy the car, pull the 5-speed stuff yourself (to learn how to install it into your car) and then sell off the '76. If you aren't going to be doing the work yourself I'd talk to the shop you are going to have do the work. It isn't really that big of a job, I'd suggest trying it yourself if you feel comfortable. 

Edited by winstontj

Thanks so much for all the responses...boy this car restoration hobby is not cheap but you definitely meet the best people! I haven't seen the parts car (it's about a 2 hour drive from me) but I'll ask about the other parts as well. I will check around for the 80-83 tranny as well. As far as myself doing the swap I'd consider it but timing is a factor when you have young kiddies, I'd rather be in the car with them then under the car while they do something else. I'll check around here as well for a local shop...specializing in BMW.

Thanks again and merry Christmas!

Lee

For reassurance, this is not a very time- consuming job if you have a car as a donor AND a place to do it.

And it's the sort of thing that the kids can "help" with a bit.  

IF you're comfortable with it.

t

I did mine last month, and paid 1800 for the conversion work, but i also paid 500 for the transmission. I feel I got a great value as the shop fabricated everything for the installation. The car runs great and 5th gear is AMAZING. Anyone that drives an 02 with the stock 4 speed is either a perfectionist and likes their vehicle as a collectors piece, or they are crazy!

Thank you as I needed to hear that! I appreciate the thought that I might be able to do it but time wise it is an issue. I have been combing through these forums and have gotten so much great info. The donor car is 2 1/2 hours away so if my wife doesn't shoot me I may try Saturday.....or....find a 320 swap local if I can. I'll post pics of the transformation, it'll be a mild resto with swapping out the rear bumper...bav auto spoiler in front....some bbs wheels and the five speed. Just what the doctor ordered. Then some cosmetics like euro lights, chrome trim, etc. thanks gain for all the input!