tashakes

Paint gurus: help with clear coat and wheels.

17 posts / 1304 viewsLast Reply

I am finally refinishing my BBS wheels. I had the lip polished so now it has no protection. I am going to put a clear coat over the paint of the wheels and after reading all the maintenance required to keep the lips nice and shiny, am thinking to clear coat the lips with the weaves.

Any enlightening will be welcomed.

post-39605-0-60715200-1451167349_thumb.j

post-39605-0-46396600-1451167364_thumb.j

Clear coat over polished metal isn't that durable (no tooth for the paint to adhere to). I used something called Sharkhide. It's rather pricey but one coat has lasted well over a year on my Style 42 polished rims. Use CC on painted surfaces only. Other option would be to leave rims uncoated and routinely polish/wax.

Edited by nbcbird

the wheels look great. did you use a primer before paint?

Used Duplicolor wheel paint spray in silver from Pep Boys. I bought some very thin wire brushes for my Dremel tool from Amazon, used about 10 of them to take off the peeling paint and prep the wheels. No primer, but will use clear coat next week to seal them. I don't think the clear is necessary as the silver paint is really thick. But I already bought it and why not. They really came out looking great. Will post again when finished and installed.

I have a set of wheels from a 320is that I'll be doing the same with over the winter. Thanks for the reply looking forward to seeing them with the clear on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Penetrol on all sort of polished aluminum with good results.  Wipe it on, let it set for a few minutes and wipe it off with a clean cloth.  It supposedly  "penetrates" the pores of the metal and give some purchase for a clear coat to adhere to... It's an easy and cheap option... You can find it in the paint departments of Lowes and Home Depot...

Here's a 13x6" Cosmic that I've polished and treated.

post-42878-0-32587700-1451424401_thumb.j  post-42878-0-01049200-1451424512_thumb.j

And I've used Penetrol on most of my engine bay aluminum...

post-42878-0-07080400-1451424699_thumb.j and 2 years later... post-42878-0-82963700-1451425888_thumb.j

Good luck,

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

routinely polish/wax.

I have polished rims on black spokes.    A routine wiping off of brake dust seems to keep the mirror finish looking good.   Edit: The brake dust is very fine, and on a soft cloth it appears to buff vs. abrade the surface.     Mother's chrome and aluminum polish is also FANTASTIC for brightening the aluminum.    No need for clearcoat IMHO.

post-38825-0-61983000-1451435448_thumb.j

Edited by PaulTWinterton

Spraying with anything will create a duller appearance  sort of an anodized aluminum look.  If you have polished the lip, then go with it and just polish it occasionally as needed with a good quality metal polish like MAAS.  If this is not your daily driver and your driving conditions are not that severe, you won't have to do this too often.

Buy a small tube or jar as a little bit goes a long way .   It only takes a few minutes to polish the wheels and there is no substitute for the look of a polished wheel shining like chrome  IMHO