jdeitch

GPS speedometer installation

37 posts / 5093 viewsLast Reply

Nice looking unit.  Sometimes the indicator lamps like the high beam shine right in your eyes and can be irritating.  Please let us know how these do.

I had a car once that I had to put a tape over the high beam indicator because of that.

Nice looking unit.  Sometimes the indicator lamps like the high beam shine right in your eyes and can be irritating.  Please let us know how these do.

I had a car once that I had to put a tape over the high beam indicator because of that.

I will keep you posted.

I had the turn signal and high beam indicators added to the new speedo because I plan on re-purposing the factory turn signal and hi beams indicators ;-) 

Edited by jdeitch

Thanks for doing this and posting it!

This is getting VERY interesting! The similarity to the original speedometer face is still not close enough for my (crazily stock) tastes, but it's certainly suggesting a very real possibility. And one that automatically "adjusts" to any diff ratio and tire size!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Too bad the lighting doesn't match the other units...

Agreed. I plan on retrofitting LED strips I to the other gauges to make everything the same color/brightness.

Thanks for doing this and posting it!

This is getting VERY interesting! The similarity to the original speedometer face is still not close enough for my (crazily stock) tastes, but it's certainly suggesting a very real possibility. And one that automatically "adjusts" to any diff ratio and tire size.

Regards,

Steve

The Art Dept. at Speedhut can make anything happen.

The GPS speedo is accurate no matter what mods you do to your car.

I have used the SpeedHut stuff in the past on other projects and have plans to use them for my 2002 as well. It is good to see that it looks so good in that cluster.

It solves the e30 transmission usage for our cars and any other modification as your speedo is correct 100% of the time

Thanks for posting

The Art Dept. at Speedhut can make anything happen.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm REALLY liking this! Faceplate graphics are easy, but the original faceplate's odometer and trip odometer are a much greater challenge: one needs to translate the original mechanical readouts into a digital form, and that's where my "stock" eye is hanging up.

And the dynamically-adjusting accuracy is my favorite feature!

Regards,

Steve

please note that it will probably not function after the zombie apocalypse.

...and yet, it does nothing to improve the approximation that the stock tach manages...

hee.

Fun!  Keep the pix coming!

t

Nice!  I Like just about everything...got a question....Is there a delay in its initial operation while finding a signal?  Tunnels?  Parking structures?  Just wondering what the downsides, if any are to this mod...I like the fact that there is a 0-60 timer, which would be nice for tuning, also love how it would be accurate regardless of tire/wheel combo, rear diff, etc...I also love the fact that I wouldn't have to fix my odometer...lol

Edited by jrhone

Nice!  I Like just about everything...got a question....Is there a delay in its initial operation while finding a signal?  Tunnels?  Parking structures?  Just wondering what the downsides, if any are to this mod...I like the fact that there is a 0-60 timer, which would be nice for tuning, also love how it would be accurate regardless of tire/wheel combo, rear diff, etc...I also love the fact that I wouldn't have to fix my odometer...lol

Yes, all of those are the downsides. Slow start up, a lag in reading actual speed, no speedo in tunnels, city coverage issues, no accurate odometer, all the same challenges that any gps unit has.