Acid House

Anyone know a Los Angeles Locksmith?

12 posts / 543 viewsLast Reply

Who can cut keys from door codes? Called two places so far, neither guy knew someone who still had that machine. On the off chance I figured I'd ask here before I go after a whole new set of locks.

If you can pull the lock tumbler(s), one can rearrange and then file down any non-fitting brass slides inside to a key-should you have one that is cut already. Same technique can be done with the door tumblers and if correct for the car will work in th eingnition without pulling that tumbler.

it's really simple to do it yourself.

Hmm I believe you when you say simple but I don't know if I'm smart or equipped enough. My doors actually don't even match, but the ignition key works and everything.

Are you sayin I could theoretically match my doors to the working ignition key by filing the tumblers? If so I might just have to give it a try.

The answer is:  Yes, but ......  if the individual brass slider thingies inside the assembly can be moved around so as to be long enough to be filed down ..... and I know that sounds confusing.  As conkitchen said, it is simple ..... it is more difficult to describe.  Once you have the parts in front of you, it's easy to understand the process.

Here's the theory and the practical:

Cheers,

Carl

Hmm I believe you when you say simple but I don't know if I'm smart or equipped enough. My doors actually don't even match, but the ignition key works and everything.

Are you sayin I could theoretically match my doors to the working ignition key by filing the tumblers? If so I might just have to give it a try.

YES.

You are good being that you have a working ignition key. The doors match the ignition is how it's supposed to be. The trunk is a whole other key type.

Ok looks like I will give it a try over the holiday.  I'll search for threads on filing the tumblers (I do recall seeing some before).

Thanks for the info!

Is the original key lost? If not have the keys cut from a blank at a ace chardware

The ignition key works, but the door locks have been replaced along the way as the ignition key doesn't unlock either cylinder, and the codes don't match on the door handles so I think they are both different from one another to boot.

If I can manage to rebuild/file both door locks to match my ignition key I will be impressed and also feeling like a badass, so I'll report back.

Edited by Acid House

The ignition key works, but the door locks have been replaced along the way as the ignition key doesn't unlock either cylinder, and the codes don't match on the door handles so I think they are both different from one another to boot.

If I can manage to rebuild/file both door locks to match my ignition key I will be impressed and also feeling like a badass, so I'll report back.

You can do it!

Use those new files you got from Santa today.

Just pay attention to how the door lock comes apart (left & right doors have an orientation) and as there is a rear coil spring, lock swing arm, plus the little tiny springs inside for those brass slides which like to commit suicide by leaping out of there holes onto the carpet.

Edited by conkitchen

Success!  Thanks again guys for the advice, now I have my doors both locking and unlocking with my ignition key!

They may be slightly less secure than stock, but they don't turn with a screwdriver and they do turn with my key so I'm happy.  FWIW I filed some tumblers and also straight up just removed a couple (much easier but lazy I know), works great this way, I saved the tumblers might refile these some more down the line for security but for now I'm happy that the car actually locks properly.

Also had to kludge a piece of the mechanism inside the diver's door that returns the handle piece after pressing (which was filthy with 40+ years of lithium grease and missing a spring).  Got some springs and metal hooks at the Hardware store and had it fixed in a jiffy, Ghetto Style.

post-46574-0-95235300-1451175611_thumb.j