• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am I looking at and how were these cars painted at the factory?

winstontj

No idea exactly what I'm looking at. Can someone please decode?

I think I see:

bare metal

some type of thin grey primer

BMW Nevada paint

some thick yellow base flattening/smoothing layer

1st coat of aftermarket Nevada

2nd coat of aftermarket Nevada

So I think I see 3 coats of paint and two coats of primer. 

Because of the wire wheel I could also be seeing:

bare metal

some type of thin grey primer

thicker yellow-ish flattening/smoothing layer

original Nevada from factory

one (or maybe two) coats of aftermarket Nevada

EDIT: What can I do to provide better photos so my question can be answered and also what should I put on the bare metal between now and when it goes to prep/paint?

Thanks

post-32133-0-28139800-1450931926_thumb.jpost-32133-0-54886400-1450932525_thumb.j

Edited by winstontj

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Mine was a patchwork of different types of paint in different places but the bits I think we're stock were:

Thin grey primer (this will be electro-coat spray) in theory this will be on the hard to reach areas but not necessarily inside box sections. The car is electrostatically charged while spraying to attract the primer.

Yellow surfacer / primer

Top coats (in my case Chamonix)

Pretty sure CD used to have a nice graphic of the various layers of a standard BMW paint job.

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

So with the wire wheel am I just trying to get down to the e-primer (grey) or get everything off down to bare metal?

First clean the surface with a good wax and grease remover so you don't get contaminants into the metal, then get the car down to bare metal to start at ground zero. 

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

First clean the surface with a good wax and grease remover so you don't get contaminants into the metal, then get the car down to bare metal to start at ground zero. 

+1.

Excellent advice for pre-painting prep.  Be sure to follow it meticulously to avoid unpleasant surprises during the color coat/clear coat process.

Regards, Maurice.

When I sanded down my Nevada '69, I discovered a yellowish/greenish primer under the Nevada paint, and a grey primer under the yellowish/greenish primer,  then bare metal.  I've owned the car since new so this was what the factory did, at least in 1969.  

I believe I've seen pictures of 'em dipping the bare body shells in the first primer (the reason for the plugs in the drivers/passengers' floor boards.  I believe the second primer and finish coat were then sprayed on.

BTW, if you discover the base primer is black, then chances are that your panel is a replacement one, as they all come from the factory in a dull black primer vs the grey & yellowish/green stuff applied on the assembly line.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When I was in the factory in 74, the cars were submerged in a vat of primer.Then they went thru the paint booth. A worker would select the color from the paintcode. One coat and it went to the clear coat. G

And clear coat only on metallics in '74. Non-metallic colors were single stage.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

When I sanded down my Nevada '69, I discovered a yellowish/greenish primer under the Nevada paint, and a grey primer under the yellowish/greenish primer,  then bare metal.  I've owned the car since new so this was what the factory did, at least in 1969.  

I believe I've seen pictures of 'em dipping the bare body shells in the first primer (the reason for the plugs in the drivers/passengers' floor boards.  I believe the second primer and finish coat were then sprayed on.

BTW, if you discover the base primer is black, then chances are that your panel is a replacement one, as they all come from the factory in a dull black primer vs the grey & yellowish/green stuff applied on the assembly line.

cheers

mike

Thanks. Yes, I've got a bunch of panels from Blunt (purchased years ago) and they all came black. 

I'll take some better photos of the paint but from what you describe it looks like the car has been painted three times, two repaints. I'm thinking that I should be trying to get everything off down to just under the factory paint but leave the e-primer (gray) and the other layer (yellowish-green). Still not sure but so much to repair paint is the least of my concerns. Just don't want to be taking the whole car down to bare metal unless its absolutely necessary. 

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

When I stripped my car, I found similar layering, along with two additional paint jobs and skim coats of filler.

Starting from bare metal, you have a couple of options. The first coat on top of bare metal could be either (1) an etching primer followed by epoxy primer, or (2) a direct-to-metal (DTM) epoxy primer. I did step #1 on my car and have had no trouble with the bodywork or paint on top of it. Epoxy primer at some point in the process is nice because it forms a waterproof barrier and is great anti-rust insurance. Combine this with a good seam sealer and you will have a long lasting, quality result if you prep it right.

Edited by calicolorado

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado #2577807<p>

2015 BMW M5 Competition 6-speed

2003 Audi TT Coupe 225