PeteM1965

Need Shipping Advice

20 posts / 1096 viewsLast Reply

Hi, I am in the process of buying my first vintage BMW (a 67 1600). It is a project that my son and I will be working on for his first car. The only problem is that and the car and us are on opposite coasts. We are in the NY Metro area and the car is in the Seattle area. Were the car a bit more sorted out we would just fly out and drive it home, but I don't have the confidence in the car to do that. So my question is this, would people please post their positive or negative shipping experiences, or at least companies to avoid. I have posted on UShip and have a dozen bids ranging from $900 to $1,400 for open transport. Enclosed trailers aren't worth it as it's far from show car.

Thanks

Peter M

I've had a few cars shipped by Uship vendors. If the car isn't a show car, then that's how I'd proceed. But review the bidders' feedback profiles, and get a phone number to speak with the shipper. If you don't get a warm fuzzy feeling, move on the next bidder. I've yet to find a Uship shipper that shows up and delivers when they say they will. For an across the country trip, that's to be expected though, especially this time of year.

Make sure to insure the car before the shipper picks it up. In case something happens, you'll be covered in case the shipper's insurance flakes on you.

Good luck, and post pictures of your new pride and joy!

I have nothing to contribute as far as shipping advice, but I'm interested to see your work on this car. Someone did a lot of work on that car to make it truly unique.

Please keep us informed along the way and good luck with the shipping process.

I shipped my 1602 (purchased sight unseen) uncovered from CT to MN with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) without drama. YMMV though as a quick scan of online reviews for DAS suggests I may have one of the few who got lucky. With the fleet shippers (as opposed to smaller bespoke outfits) transport times can be longer as they want to fill their transporters for maximum value on each run. I recall it took days for the vehicle to be collected from the originating terminal and weeks to arrive.

You do get what you pay for. If white glove treatment or firm dates are important to you, pay for it and don't skimp.

Hi Bento. Unique is a kind word. Plans are ambitious but budget is teenage job modest. We'll sort the brakes, electrics, and engine straight away (it helps to have a relative who wrenches on 2002s and other cars for a living). Cosmetics will be last. My son would like to paint it Inka, I like the original color, Bristol, with a bold dark-blue stripe up the middle. Some E30 Steelies are something we both agree on as well as a pair of Scheel buckets. So be patient and we will post as we go, and I'm sure we'll have plenty of questions too.

Edited by PeteM1965

I tried to post this earlier but the forum went down for maintenance:

Welcome!
This subject is discussed every other month.  Your experience with a shipper may vary from mine.  I neighbor has used DAS several times to ship from the Seattle area to the east coast, but others have had bad experience with them.  You say enclosed trailers aren't worth it - others will disagree.  I guess it depends on the state of the current paint job & the weather it will encounter.
Use the search box at the top right of the forum and you will find the previous threads based on your search terms, like "shipping" or "shipper".
Good luck! 
Edited by John_in_VA

Hi Bento. Unique is a kind word. Plans are ambitious but budget is teenage job modest. We'll sort the brakes, electronics, and engine straight away (it helps to have a relative who wrenches on 2002s and other cars for a living). Cosmetics will be last. My son would like to paint it Inka, I like the original color, Bristol, with a bold dark-blue stripe up the middle. Some E30 Steelies are something we both agree on as well as a pair of Scheel buckets. So be patient and we will post as we go, and I'm sure we'll have plenty of questions too.

I wrote that a few different ways before posting. I guess I'm curious to see what you uncover as you get it sorted.

Sounds like you're ready for a few surprises as you go and have some solid tech support if you get stuck. That's good to hear.

Some E30 Steelies are something we both agree on

Pete, I posted a week or so ago about a set of E30 steel wheels on a '91 318i (E30) in Indianapolis; if you can't find wheels closer to you and/or can't find the post, drop me an IM and I'll send you the link. 

Welcome, BTW.  If your project is still a 6volt '67, it might be worth trying to keep it original, or at least easily returnable to original as those cars are pretty rare--few BMWs were sold in the US until the 2002 came out in April 1968.

Welcome to the fraternity/sorority, BTW.

mike

Not sure if this is helpful but I shipped my E30 ix cross country a few years ago with DeMoise Trucking on an enclosed carrier.  They were great but I found out they closed their transport business.  HOwever some of the folks went to intercity Lines.  It wasnt the cheapest (I think about $1600 from DC area to SF, CA).

I did a lot of research prior to shipping the car.  I was concerned about open carriers and horror stories for example oil/fluids dripping from cars above.  Most of the sites are brokers and it seems like more of an auction process.  

Anyway, contact FWIW is: Jim at Intercity Lines

1-800-221-3936 x205
[email protected]
www.intercitylines.com

I have no interest or affiliation.  I just wasnt up for a "roll the dice" option.

Thank you gentlemen.

If you can, start a built thread with some initial pics of the car and keep it up as you progress. Will be cool watching the progress of you two!

This isn't much of a helpful answer, but I hope it can be useful? (No I am not a politician)

Most companies listed as auto transport companies are basically brokers. They subcontract to other carriers to provide transport for them and it really depends on how good the subcontractors are that they hire.  i.e If one person uses broker X, and have a great result, the next person that uses the same broker may have a totally different result. There also can be several exchanges between carriers that happen along the way as well. 

Some brokers have pretty high standards for their subcontractors, and can maintain a good reputation. But it can be hard for some to provide consistent results. The more expensive companies have their own trucks and usually are the covered carriers. 

I used a broker based in LA for transport from Texas to Oregon. My brother in law cringed as he watched the driver pull away and the two Range Rovers on the upper deck essentially help prune the trees in the neighborhood. The car was subsequently handed off to two different carriers and the final carrier was a nice Ukrainian gentleman that could barely speak English.  After a bit of anxiety, the car arrived safely with no issues. 

Bottom line: For a lot of "Auto transport Companies" your individual mileage may vary even if you use the same company again. The more expensive companies that have their own trucks are usually more reliable. 

I used this guy  Jose Transport 754 281 6848 . from los Angelos to Handen  Ct. in July for $900.00 . Picked up my 67 1600 on saturday by Tuesday i had my car in my garage  . two days ahead of estimated time . great job .