rapandi

Engine stand mounting bolts

6 posts / 1089 viewsLast Reply

So after reading several threads on how people mount the engine I have decided to mount it side ways so I can access the clutch.

Because I dont know the the length of the three M10 and one M8 bolt required, I am thinking of using grade 8.8 threaded rods with nuts and washers which I can cut to suit.

Does anyone see any major structural deficiency in using threaded rod over a forged bolt?

Anyone use threaded rod successfully?

I just did this recently. I bought long (don't recall length but can check tonight) and three nuts per bolt.

I sandwiched the stand plate between two nuts and used the 3rd against the side of the engine block. I didn't like the idea of stacks of washers.

I might have a photo...

Edit: adding photo.

post-47476-0-32970900-1450823776_thumb.j

Edited by bento

Hardware/bolts sound small. As long as you use a die on the rod after you cut lengths you should be good to go. 

EDIT: Site is very buggy. Its been a while so I don't know what M10 or M8 bolts equate to. As long as its enough to support the weight, make sure the threads are OK on the rod sections you cut and it'll work fine. 

Edited by winstontj

Keep in  mind that the three holes on the block, normally used for side mounting on stands, are NOT on the same plane. The forward one is inset about 1-2mm. On mine, I just used the existing flat 3/8" plate from the stand, and drilled holes as needed. I added a washer on the one bolt hole, to compensate for the distance variation. No need to use the long tubes, or long bolts. Super simple, effective, strong, and safe. 

Using Grade 8, 10mm x 1.50 bolts, each about 25mm long, and adding washers, in case they're a tad too long. 

Don't over-think it!

HTH!

Paul

Yeah, honestly, in this application, as long as 2 bolts get more than a few threads into the block, you'll be fine.

Figure that one M10 bolt can suspend the entire car, with a safety factor, and you have to admit that more than 2

are plenty for hanging onto just the block.

I welded a chunk of pipe approximately the right diameter onto an old passenger's side mount bracket-

it took a little gusseting to get it sturdy enough, but that made the side mount very easy indeed.

t

Toby - Indeed. I'd be more nervous about the cast iron cracking/chipping, than bolt failure. :-) And I'm not really worried about that, either.