Sign in to follow this  
mkcos

Dead on Road in Camden, SC...

7 posts / 654 viewsLast Reply

In the process of moving from NC to GA, I unwisely decided to drive my car ('73 2002) , instead of trailering it. At any rate, it started dying randomly; when it played these trick the tach would drop complete and it  would lose all  engine power. As it this weren't enough fun it started to make bad noises that I've never heard from it before - grinding under load and a serious pop-grind coming up through the steering wheel. That said, the upshot got all this is hat it's now in a storage place in Camden, SC and I need got either get it addressed there, or down in the Statesboro-Savannah area of Georgia. Long story short, any suggestions for a good garage from anyone familiar with the area? I appreciate any and all help! Kevin Costello

The ignition is a low tension kind of thing. Replace condenser, points and check all connections (including internals to the distributor and how tight the condenser is screwed to the body of the distributor.

The way you describe the popping and grinding it wouldn't encourage me to drive on if I could sort the ignition. Can you be precise? Is this engine, gearbox, suspension or steering you are talking about?

The entire ignition system is brand new in the last 2 months... I appreciate the advice but what I really need is some ideas about good repair people in this part of the world... Thanks for your reply, act least...

The entire ignition system is brand new in the last 2 months... I appreciate the advice but what I really need is some ideas about good repair people in this part of the world... Thanks for your reply, act least...

Well, there's your problem. Whoever brandnewified your ignition might not have done the best job and something has gone awry. It happens.

I am sorry I can't give you any recommendations of mechanics in Camden.

If you just replaced the points, it's just possible that they have closed up, or nearly so--esp if you didn't put a little dab of distributor grease on the edge of the rubbing block.  Check point gap--a five minute job--to to reassure yourself that it isn't something simple like that.  

You're not very far from the BMW factory and BMW CCA HQ in Greenville/Spartanburg; get the CCA phone number off the internet and give the office a call.  Even if you're not a member I'll bet they can recommend a nearby independent BMW shop--after all most of the club staff drive Bimmers!

cheers

mike 

Well, thanks for the ideas - I just really was looking for a shop someone could verify as dependable... I'm not with the car and won't be until I find somewhere to trailer it to.