Sign in to follow this  
OriginalOwner

1980 ..... a baby picture blast from the past

9 posts / 830 viewsLast Reply

My pal sent me a 35mm slide-to-digital converter.  I found this gem amongst the chaff.

July 4, 1980 along the Kern River, CA ...... 1 mile north of McNally's Restaurant.

that's my pal's 1960 SL190 with removeable hardtop.

my '74tii was but a 5-1/2 year old baby ......

BMW%20and%20Garys%20Mercedes_on%20the%20

Cheers,

Carl

My '74tii has been there more than a few dozen times.  If you'd like to see the canyon from the beginning, here's the drive.  The Johnsondale Bridge is 3 miles north of the above picture.

Cheers,

Carl

Used to water ski and sail at Lake Isabella in the late 70s, many times towing a Hobie catamaran behind my 74 2002 up the Kern canyon. Had a beer once in Johnsondale before it became a private resort too. You just didn't want to be there on a holiday weekend!

Carl, I have been searching for the thread where Jim offered to send you a can of silver paint for your wheels.

I wanted to quote your response, where you attributed the color of your rims to forty years of desert driving... or something similar.

How is it that those rims were so dark when your car was only five and a half years old?

Could that possibly be a custom paint color??

Carl, I have been searching for the thread where Jim offered to send you a can of silver paint for your wheels.

I wanted to quote your response, where you attributed the color of your rims to forty years of desert driving... or something similar.

How is it that those rims were so dark when your car was only five and a half years old?

Could that possibly be a custom paint color??

The square taillight cars used particularly bad paint: it didn't have the durability of the earlier wheel paint. The first photo shows one of my '76's rims in '83, the second photo in '89. This was strictly a garage-kept car maintained to a high standard.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-33236000-1450929089_thumb.j

post-41123-0-07277400-1450929130_thumb.j

Excellent, I now have a "technical solution" to my laziness !!

HB, time for a pilgrimage and I know the perfect driving route:  get yourself to downtown Arvin, fill up with gas, then continue east on the main drag (Hwy 223) to Hwy 58, east on 58 1 mile to Bealville Rd and go left (north) through Caliente and just keep going north on the Caliente/Bodfish Road, through Walker Basin, and on in to Lake Isabella.

And having been to Johnsondale, that means you drove past McNally's Restaurant (8 miles south of Johnsondale).  This time, make sure to stop for dinner.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

In 1980 I was in my fourth year of living in California - I was 14, probably in 8th grade.  A great time in my life, and in my head, it looks exactly like the above photo, once you get away from the sprawling civilization.  The grass the is golden in the summer and green in the winter, and the color of the sky - very memorable.  Beautiful place.  Thanks for the memory kick-start!

Scott