john02md

2002 Values Down?

42 posts / 3075 viewsLast Reply

Have you all seen this, from the daily "Autoweek Daily Drive?" 

Hagerty identifies the winners -- and losers -- from the past 12 months

Here are 2015’s biggest losers, along with their percentage decreases in sale prices:

1. 1946 – 1952 Hudson Commodore (-36 percent)
2. 1968 – 1975 BMW 2002 (-33 percent)
3. 1976 – 1986 American Motors CJ-7 (-32 percent)
4. 1957 – 1958 Studebaker Golden Hawk (-30 percent)
5. 1955 – 1957 Chevrolet 150 (-27 percent)"

Check it out at autoweek.com.

How could this be?  And did a typo leave out the '76?

pure rubbish...

I think this year the 02 had a nice jump in value.....I'm sure there will be some dips here and there, but values will continue upward....the 02 has been discovered by the general classic car buyer...collector etc etc....

that fact they left out the 76 is just a sign how little they know...lol

so let me ask: a 15k car is down over 4k?...

don't believe everything you read....unless you read it here....

PS

did u buy the car as an investment?..

Edited by jrkoupe

I second JR....

Personally those 'car' people that focus on market price and fluctuations are to me missing the point...that is not to say don't be aware or be responsible....

Numbers important to car enthusiasts are how much till my next project gets done & idealized figures should be saved for performence figures & or race results...

I almost loath markets/ auctions/ .....but I still respect the entire process & believe there is always a place for everything--just not behind the drivers seat! ($$ counters)

My .02 cents

-M

Edited by mo02

Those numbers are probably pretty accurate.  Nobody really wants the early year cars (67-75), as they're too old and unreliable.  The 76 model year, however, is without question the most desirable, and one should expect values to continue to skyrocket for 76s, especially for the coveted Verona red models.

A non-running 72 tii just sold on eBay for close to $18,000. So......

Prices on all vintage European cars have leveled off a bit, but a 33 percent dip may be a stat based on a very small sample size. 

If the values DO go down that much, I'll be buying a few to hoard up until the market heats up again. :-) 

I pay no attention to valuation articles. The authors usually don't know the subject matter and these numbers are probably auction selling stats for the big auction houses. Most sales are private and have been on the upswing.

Those numbers are probably pretty accurate.  Nobody really wants the early year cars (67-75), as they're too old and unreliable.  The 76 model year, however, is without question the most desirable, and one should expect values to continue to skyrocket for 76s, especially for the coveted Verona red models.

The PINNACLE of '02's!

:D

First off, they left off the '76 model year because it has increased 86%(source: the voices in my head :D ) and it would not be on this silly list. It is on the "Winners" list...yeah, that's right... the winnnnnuuuhs list...uhhh, published by Auto Consensus, yeaaaah, that's it, Auto Consensus...

Williamggruff, YOU are correct sir, except for maybe one teeny, tiny error...the value will continue to skyrocket for the "coveted" Mint Grun models!!! :o

Am I right '76Mintgrun'02, or what??

Who cares about values? They are mechanical things to be used up and enjoyed.

Folks who care about values are not car people, they are investors. To which autos are just commodities.

Don't tell that to my insurance company.  They just sent me a check for $3K to fix the deer damage on my '74 base model 2002, which I only paid $700 for and is cosmetically 'not pristine,' heh.  

Looks like a typo by autoweakly, they put the 2002 in the minus column instead of the plus. According to Hagerty the value has risen about 33% since 2014