djminkin

Building split rims

11 posts / 968 viewsLast Reply

Hi anyone have experience with ordering bbs halves to build 3 piece wheels? Car has flares and i want to build

13x8 fronts 13x10 rears. Need help determining the size of the inner and outer halves I need to order. Thanks in advance.

My AlpinA's are 3 Piece (15") with BBS flat base inner/outer barrels, link below is a post I did no my blog a long time ago and also has a link to the BBS Website.  Flat base look the coolest in my opinion, but then they are much more of a PIA as you have to dis-assemble the wheel to get it off the tire and vice versa to get a new one back on.  It is quite a process, and there aren't that many places that can do it (or should I say places I would trust to do it).  The alternative is the drop center system which allows you to remove/replace tires with a tire machine.  The BBS stuff is expensive as you would expect, I paid a little more than $150 for an inner barrel (rim), the o-ring pieces are like $50, hardware kit $75....as I recall, but then that was years ago.   Roger Kraus Racing in San Leandro, CA has done all my wheel / tire stuff - he knows his s%it - I would try there unless someone here knows someone better/closer to you.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/02/bbs-racing-wheels-technical-information.html

Holy Cats, non-drop center rims?  That makes the bridge of my nose twinge!

t

We had a set of BBS 3 piece with no drop centers for our B Sedan in 1977. Wish I still had those wheels TO HANG ON THE WALL they were a true PITA, never again!!! We were running cantilevered tires ( 10.5" wide tires designed to fit on 7" wide wheels) and had special jigs set up for the press to assemble them, no chance of changing tires at the track unless you brought the press with you.

There are many offset calculators on the web. These calculators can manipulate inner and outer barrel widths as long as you know the offset of your centers.

The centers are 13" 20 hole Alpina centers.  They will go on a pig cheek car. Does anyone have experience building these. I would need the correct width of the front and rear barrel for each.

the offset of your centers.

is what is missing, here.

t

e7304f1ebd82eddb8168d04bfde8123e.jpg

If that doesn't work out, I have these for sale, have seals also, just missing hardware. You can build square sets or staggered. These are period correct magnesium centers 13". Will need to be refurbished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk