Simeon

Weber choke vacuum pull off adjustment

9 posts / 3101 viewsLast Reply

Hey, anybody got any instructions for adjusting the choke pull off diaphragm on a 32/36?

The only instructions I have seen were from a Ford manual and imply that a drill (no size given) is used as a gauge to determine the correct opening of the choke plates while the screw at the end of the diaphragm, underneath the plug, is adjusted. The are similar instructions for adjusting the very similar water choke on the Solex carb.

Any idea how big the gap is?

There's a diaphragm for that?

I thought the off- center flap performed that function...  more air flow, more pull- off.

Counterbalanced against the throttle pull- on from the bimetallic...

And I always set the auto chokes by 'what runs best' and the cold flap position just got to be whatever it was.

Or am I missing something?

t

post-32364-0-02159100-1450656699_thumb.j

Yup, No 52 on my diagram It pulls the choke plates open and has an adjustment screw No 57. There seems to be 2 different types. The one with the thin rod with spring and circlip arrangement (like the diagram) and one with a heavier solid rod with a slot in it.

My carb had a PO lash up with a thin rod version with a slot ground in it. Going to fit a new one (not easily found) and want to set it up properly since I am sure that has been butchered too.

post-39712-0-96972100-1450658158_thumb.j

Oh, look at that fancy thing right there!  I have no idea....

...and I don't know that I've had one that looked like that.  Maybe I'm just getting senile...

or I've completely overlooked it.....

t

The "thin rod thing" is the choke unloader and opens the choke when the throttle is opened wide to clear a flood condition.

Edited by jimk

I'm also searching for some written details on how to properly adjust the choke (both the electric heater coil and the vacuum pulloff, which is even more obscure) on the 32/36 DGAV.  Anyone familiar with some well-written, complete description of how to adjust the 32/36 electric choke?

Here's a bit of general wisdom I found about how automatic chokes work:

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/Adjusting_Automatic_Chokes.htm

^ on a cold engine you need to rotate the choke housing (Which has a clock spring inside) until the choke plates are fully closed. You want enough tension such that the choke plates close fully if you pop them open with you fingers but not so much tension that they dont open when the engine heats up.

Find the least amount of tension to fully close the choke plates even if you open them with your fingers, they need to jump back closed.

Finally found some info on adjusting the choke pull down from researching a large number of Ford websites. The choke plate opening is set to 7mm when the choke diaphragm rod is pushed towards the rear of the car (the electric / water choke housing along with the heat shield plastic plate must be removed to give access). To adjust, remove the plug screw from the end of the diaphragm housing and turn the grub screw beneath in or out as required.

Blog entry on carb rebuild, the issues I had with this choke pull down and its adjustment:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163/entry-540-carburettor-conundrum/

Thanks for the info!  I was just looking into this myself, as my car has been "loading up" rich right after cold start.  Wanted to check and see if the choke was pulling off the right amount.  Now I know I can measure 7mm.