Stuart

ti vs NK airbox

7 posts / 1915 viewsLast Reply

I'm looking to find a ti airbox like shown below:

post-43078-0-46399700-1450471798.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a true ti airbox.  In the picture, both the front and back air intakes on the end caps come off the top of the end cap. 

I've had two different people try to sell me an NK airbox.  The difference in the NK airbox is that the air intake on the front end cap comes off the bottom of the end cap instead of the top.  See below:

post-43078-0-53748800-1450471835_thumb.j

The NK airbox is not my first choice but I was wondering if it will work on my 72 with dual 40 DCOEs?   

Stuart

The two airboxes sit differently in the engine bay... Note how the Ti box has angled intake runners and the NK box's are straight? The cans attach to the strut tower in a slightly different way as well. Also, and very importantly, if you don't have a Tii brake booster, the airbox will not fit under the hood without massaging the bottom of the can with BFH.  ...and the indention on the bottom of those airboxes differs, between the two.

Here's a thread showing a modified NK box  http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/93733-2002ti-2000ti-1802ti-airbox/

Ed

The top photo is my car, and yes it's a real ti airbox.

In addition to the brake booster issue Ed pointed out, I don't think the airbox would clear the battery mounted in the normal non-ti position.  The battery is mounted substantially lower in a ti.

Andy

Guys -

I am aware of the brake boost issue but did not know of the battery clearance. I am getting a tii brake boost.  I have removed the battery tray to paint it so I will look at mounting it lower. 

I've had 2 reputable parts sources and a private party tell me they have a ti airbox.  I got pictures of all 3 only to see that all 3 there are really NK airboxes.  I thought the NK airboxes were hard to find, guess not.

Anyone on in this group know of a reliable source for a real ti airbox?  There has to be someone in Germany?

Stuart

I believe Michael Cahsel (www.bmw02.de) may have one.

Probably nowhere near cheap.  He has cool parts though.

Good luck

Andy

Ha, yep, I thought about getting it pulled before powder coating, but didn't.  It cleaned up nicely though.