PatAllen

bmw contact for VIN

8 posts / 525 viewsLast Reply

Long time ago i contacted someone at BMW mobile tradition iirc about VIN for 2002 and came up with the details of the car...

is this contact still valid ?

i am helping a friend here to rebuild his Sahara 74' identical as mine !!! except it is manual (of course)

just currious about the contact...

regards,

Pat Allen

no i didnt searched but my question was about the validity of the service.

thanks.

This message was included in the info I recently requested from BMW:

***Da wir zum Jahreswechsel in unsere neuen Räumlichkeiten an der Moosacher Straße 80 in München umziehen und parallel dazu ein neues Datenbanksystem einführen, müssen wir unseren Service ab September 2015 einschränken. Benutzerbetreuung vor Ort und Bestellung von Archivprodukten ist dann leider nicht mehr möglich, die Beantwortung von Anfragen wird ebenfalls eingeschränkt. Wir bitten Sie dafür um Verständnis. Ab März 2016 können wir Ihnen dann wieder unser gesamtes Leistungsspektrum anbieten.***

***At the end of the year, we will be moving to our new premises at Moosacher Straße 80 in Munich and at the same time introduce a new database system, therefore have to restrict our service from September 2015. We will no longer be able to assist users at our location and it will also not be possible to order archive products. We will also have to restrict our service answering enquiries. We hope you will appreciate that this is unavoidable. From March 2016, we will once again be able to provide you with our full range of services.***
--

I emailed them the other day and they got back to me quick with a VIN. All it had was color code and where it was originall imported (NYC in my case)

I emailed them the other day and they got back to me quick with a VIN. All it had was color code and where it was originall imported (NYC in my case)

The Archive's information actually doesn't include the car's original Port of Entry. And New York City wasn't a Port of Entry for any BMW's. (Elizabeth, NJ, was the Port of Entry for cars generally in the northern Mid-Atlantic and southern New England regions.). Rather, BMW Archives provided you with the date on which the car's legal title -- not a physical car -- was delivered to the sole U.S. importer: a.) Hoffman Motors if your car was imported prior to 1975 or b.) BMW, North America if your car was imported after 1974. Hoffman Motors had it's legal domicile and headquarters in NYC, which is why the records say NYC. (And why I'd bet that your car was imported prior to 1974.)

The car's title had to pass BEFORE a car was shipped to the U.S. as, under the sole importer agreements, risk of loss and profit shifted from BMW to the importer for the generally 6 to 10-week trip from the factory to the U.S. retail dealer.

I'd bet Archives also provided you with your car's manufacturing date, which was generally -- but not always -- 1 day to 2 weeks prior to the title delivery date.

I just wanted to clarify this issue as the legal title delivery date, and it's close proximity to the manufacturing date, has given many an owner the impression that their car was air-lifted overnight from Munich to New York City, before being trucked to Hollywood or Peoria. That was not the case, and 100% of the Hoffman-imported cars show delivery of title to "Hoffman Motors in New York City." Instead, the cars came on ships to Ports of Entry on the East, West, and Gulf coasts, and were trucked from those various ports to the retail dealers.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

This message was included in the info I recently requested from BMW:

***Da wir zum Jahreswechsel in unsere neuen Räumlichkeiten an der Moosacher Straße 80 in München umziehen und parallel dazu ein neues Datenbanksystem einführen, müssen wir unseren Service ab September 2015 einschränken. Benutzerbetreuung vor Ort und Bestellung von Archivprodukten ist dann leider nicht mehr möglich, die Beantwortung von Anfragen wird ebenfalls eingeschränkt. Wir bitten Sie dafür um Verständnis. Ab März 2016 können wir Ihnen dann wieder unser gesamtes Leistungsspektrum anbieten.***

***At the end of the year, we will be moving to our new premises at Moosacher Straße 80 in Munich and at the same time introduce a new database system, therefore have to restrict our service from September 2015. We will no longer be able to assist users at our location and it will also not be possible to order archive products. We will also have to restrict our service answering enquiries. We hope you will appreciate that this is unavoidable. From March 2016, we will once again be able to provide you with our full range of services.***--

Thanks, Mike,

I would have sworn that BMW Archives had a similar move -- and similar period of non-operation -- within the last 2 years!

Regards,

Steve