kavadarci

I think i am a short shifter

27 posts / 1742 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

Can someone advise what is the reasonable rpm gear shifting?

example, 1st gear to 2nd gear, what rpms is the safest for the engine to shift?

I'm not looking at maximum power or red lining, just what is reasonable rpms for this car\engine?

I think i shift my car too low, it has ansa exhaust which is really loud and i think that tricks me to do way sooner.

how soon, i do 1st to 2nd at 2500 rpms, 2nd to 3rd below 3000 rpms and 3rd to 4th even less than that.

Thank you.

Max power is at 5800 RPM. Max Torque is 4000 RPM. Redline is 6400 RPM. It is recommended to keep the RPM

above 2000 for proper lubrication. G

Thank you.

That helps a lot.

What do you guys do? When do you shift on a regular day? again, it is a lot of times not possible to reach the maximum power during regular driving so i am interested how do you shift on a regular day.

Thank you.

For some reason i have this understanding in my head that high rpms are not good for the engine.

Shfiting between 3500-4500 again in my mind is high rpms but you say on the lower end what m10 can handle.I think i need to re-map my thinking about this engine.

I think these cars are much more delightful to drive at higher rpms. Throttle control is certainly more linear and responsive.

Mine seems happiest when I ask it to sing.

Thank you.

For some reason i have this understanding in my head that high rpms are not good for the engine.

Shfiting between 3500-4500 again in my mind is high rpms but you say on the lower end what m10 can handle.I think i need to re-map my thinking about this engine.

I keep revs above 2,500, at virtually all times, unless I'm stopping or stopped. This isn't a diesel, designed for low rpm's. It was designed to produce its power and torque from 3,500h - 6,000 rpm's. So...I'm going to say it:

"If you're not in that rev range, you shouldn't be driving an '02!"

Before the engine has temperature, I do keep revs below 3,500. Afterward, above 3,500. I'm going to say something else:

"If you don't love the sound of an '02's engine at 4,500 rpm's, you shouldn't be driving an '02,"

Well, you asked!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Ugh don be a short shifter! I have a friend who dies that; It's hard to be in the car with him when he's driving...I give him all kinds of hell for it too. He drives a Honda S2000.....which has a 9k redline. 

Wind that motor out!

Ok,

I am definitely changing my driving style.

And for the record, I absolutely love love sound between 4500_5000 , that is my problem I am trying to explain ,

Doesn't high rpms wear the engine an components faster?

Ok, I am definitely changing my driving style. And for the record, I absolutely love love sound between 4500_5000 , that is my problem I am trying to explain , Doesn't high rpms wear the engine an components faster?

I shift regularly on a daily driver in that 3500-4500 range. I go to 6000 rpm somewhat regularly - maybe every other week. I often drive freeways at 4500- 5000 for extended periods. I do short shift 1st gear - usually around 2000 - 2500 because there is not much gain to be had with stock 4 speed gearing. 180k on current engine tells me it's not wearing things too much faster.........  

I shift at 4500 regularly, and take it to 6000 once a week. Still haven't had an issue with the motor. 

I wholeheartedly believe in the the "Italian Tuneup". 

Ugh don be a short shifter! I have a friend who dies that; It's hard to be in the car with him when he's driving...I give him all kinds of hell for it too. He drives a Honda S2000.....which has a 9k redline. 

Wind that motor out!

Whaaaattt??? Why else do you buy an S2000 but to rev it?