rapandi

Furniture dolly for engine drop

32 posts / 3391 viewsLast Reply

I am planning on dropping my engine, gearbox and subframe as a whole unit this weekend. My research shows that some people have opted to use an ATV jack or a furniture dolly.

I am thinking of going with the cheaper option which is the dolly and the one locally available here has a MAX capacity of 350kg or 770lbs.

Am I going to be calling it too close with that capacity of the dolly? Does anyone know?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Flat-Movers-Dolly-350kg-76-x-46cm.aspx?pid=342171#Recommendations

Edited by rapandi

The engine if a stock M10 weighs approx. 310 lbs give or take, sub frame and trans, another 100-150. You have lots  of room.... 

Mike

I used a furniture dolly to move my fully dressed motor and trans with no problem.

I have a 2FE Toyota engine sitting on that sort of thing.

They're tough enough!

t

How do you plan to lift it back into the car?
I used an overhead grab with a comealong.  If car is not raised high enough for the engine on the subframe, lift the engine first, slide the subframe under, lower engine onto the mounts, lift both up in place holding against rails with a floor jack in addition to the overhead pull.

I got it out sorta in reverse but just laid the engine on it's side on cardboard and slid it out.

We have cheaper ones over here: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-14-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-61899.html I have a dressed M20, subframe & gearbox on the one I just linked. You won't have any issues with the weight. 

If you can, pick it up in the store vs. online. I've recently had a bunch of issues with castors not being centered properly (the wheels don't roll evenly) with an engine hoist, a floor jack and a moving dolly (all with metal wheels). Place it on the floor and roll it to make sure the wheels roll properly. Trust me, it is a pain in the rear end to learn the hard way that your wheels won't roll evenly once weight is added. All three of those issues were Harbor Freight products. All of which harbor freight was happy to let me return/exchange.

Thanks that is perfect. I will go ahead with the dolly. I have an engine hoist which I will use to lower and lift engine in and out of engine bay.

The wooden harbor freight furniture dolly is the one I used too. Hoisted the body up far enough to lower the subframe/engine/trans down and slide it from underneath, and reversed the process to reattach enverything.

post-38231-0-27311900-1450300143_thumb.j

post-38231-0-17756300-1450300329_thumb.j

So when do I get to see that beast Colin?  The engine looks great.

So when do I get to see that beast Colin?  The engine looks great.

<Colin checks Minneapolis weather forecast for tomorrow...>

Spring now, I guess :(

I used a telescoping A frame ladder, a couple of 2x4's and some ratchet straps to lift a motor off the sub-frame (that happened to be sitting on furniture dollies) to put on an engine cart.

Plans are to use the same things to put the motor back on the sub-frame from the cart. 

your mileage may vary.

Eventually, I bought an engine hoist.

It was worth it.

t

I am mentally dissecting the best way to drop the motor and transmission out of the car ( why would you do anything else?).

So far...

I am running the rear wheels up on lifting ramps.

I am jacking up the front of the car to match, perhaps in a couple of lifts, to align with the. Front ( big jack stands under the frame rails with timber).

I am attaching the engine to a block and tackle or engine hoist.

I am unbolting everything and lowering the front subframe, engine and transmission down to a furniture dolly

I am pulling the dolly out having bunched up my struts

Could maybe drop the engine with the floor jack, could maybe just drag stuff out without the benefit of the furniture dolly.

???