gallian93

1972 BMW 2002tii Agave Green with Saddle/Tan interior

80 posts / 9166 viewsLast Reply

What am I missing?  A fuel injected car that has not run in years that has numerous issues.  Combine this with the claim of "Original Paint".  Perhaps he means "Original Color"  I know a 72 TII is one of the more desirable models, but this one has many needs for a car nearing $20k.

Hey, if the visible rust bubbling is ALL the rust, and if, with a fresh tank of gas and minor sorting, it starts right up and drives, it may still be work $17k, but those are a lot of ifs, considering the storm clouds.

I don't know why I'm so obsessed with this car. Maybe it's just because of all of the time I spend representing a car thoroughly and honestly when I put something up for auction.

From the Q&A section of the ebay listing

Q:  Congratulations - your car is listed on Bring A Trailer. An often asked question on these cars - the nose on your car is wrong for a tii. Are you able to determine if it's been replaced? Non-factory welds, signs of repainting? Dec-17-15

A:  There is some controversy regarding the snorkel nose. Many BMW enthusiasts believe as I do that some tiis left the factory with the snorkel nose. I am not aware of any work being done to the car in that regard. I am the 3rd owner, and have owned the car since 1989. I cannot see any non-factory welds or signs of re-paint.

From what i've found online that "many" enthusiasts don't believe this and "a few" do... Hopefully the bidders have done their due diligence.

Q:  is it original paint do you have any pic of seats with out covers on Dec-16-15

A:  The paint is original. The driver's seat has a 10-inch long tear on the bottom (right cheek). The backseats and passenger seat are fine. The fronts came out of a Mercedes SL. Haven't had the sheepskins off since '89, but took pics today. I'll add them to the auction.

Owner insists the paint is original so maybe the paint work was just to touch up fading spots... but is nice enough to add the sheepskins to the auction :)

6 hours to go ... and is at +$17K now... Could this be the "Wheeler Dealer" effect?

Edited by gallian93

02Les, on 15 Dec 2015 - 12:23 AM, said: Out of interest, from the pics/info that I have:- 2762318 - manuf 26 Jul '72 - no notch & plastic runners 2762325 - manuf 27 Jul '72 - notch & plastic runners 2762341 - manuf 28 Jul '72 - notch & plastic runners 2762397 - manuf ??? - notch & alum runners My 72tii engine 2762332 pulled from a Polaris car:  aluminum runners

My car is 2286 (euro counting - starts with 271), and it was built on June 23rd, '72.  It has E12 head and aluminum runners.  Just to throw that in the mix.

Scott 

No '02 left the factory with that much orange-peel to its "factory" paint -- which was lacquer, not enamel -- and with overspray everywhere! I'd say that neither the seller nor the buyer had a clue, so it's probably an ideal transaction: both should be very happy with the outcome. Thank heavens I bought my Inka tii project a year and a half ago! Echoing Andrew, if this sale reflects the broader market, my tii gained about $7,500 of value today.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

If your a current owner of a Tii, you have to love it!!

I've been through these run ups on my Porsche 356 & 911, both up 300% since purchase. It's really hard to go against your best interest on these forums when cars start selling for crazy numbers.

I like to keep my fingers still and smile.

And still, for some reason, it really pisses me off.

But, honestly, Rob, when the buyer fesses up that 1.) he really didn't have a clue, and 2.) the car is a frightful dog, and he says "Can someone please help me get this thing started?" you'll be ready to roll up your sleeves and dig in!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I blame the madness on Velocity Channel, Wheeler Dealers, and all the other car reality TV shows turning every flipper fools focus on the run-up frenzy. That's why I am asking $50 for a used radiator hose.

Shameless plug here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/173982-rarest-of-the-disposables/

After I sell my tii I'm gonna move into mid-70's AMC's since they can still be had for less than a grand in nice shape. Who dare follow me into the next craze?

Edited by conkitchen