winstontj

VIN Question: Engine Block VIN Stamps

8 posts / 1340 viewsLast Reply

I have a bunch of M10 blocks. Two of them have numbers stamped into the blocks in addition to the VINs. One looks to have the VIN on one side and a "2.0" or a "20" stamped on the other side (the base of the numbers are each facing outward on the rectangle) and the other has what looks like "1.6" or "16" stamp. 

The additional numbers aren't as thick or heavy as the VIN stamp. Was this something BMW did possibly with re-manufactured motors to identify the displacement of the motor? I can't exactly remember but if memory serves one was out of an early 2.0L e21 and one came from a 1600. 

Thanks. 

They marked the liter displacement on most M10 blocks. I don't know when the practice started. My '73 and '76 -- both with original blocks -- have the "2,0" markings for 2 liters. And, yes, it was marked at a different time, in a different typeface, and at a 180-degree different orientation than the VIN, which presumably came later. Below are the markings on the '73: " * 2762757 * " and "2,0". Sorry, I'm not finding my photo of the '76's engine number.

I'll admit, I just "discovered" this feature a couple years ago. The liter stamp is generally less noticeable than the VIN stamp and never grabbed my eye previously.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-40524900-1450023918_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

I have a Tii engine with 121 head that the PO had built by BMW in 1996. Here is what's stamped she e the VIN would be. If anyone can shed some light on the stamping, it would be appreciated. Steve took a couple other pics of stamps on the block that I can't get to at the moment.

post-37746-0-65504700-1450048732_thumb.j

Edited by tomphot

I'm thinking the 22 might be 2002 - TIUS, might be a US Tii. 0960 might be production in 1996.

I'm not sure about the rest. I think Steve got a pic of the cast stamps and his thoughts were that this was not a remanufactued engine but an engine produced in the '90's - amazing that BMW would still that 20+ years after they first produced them.

I'm thinking the 22 might be 2002 - TIUS, might be a US Tii. 0960 might be production in 1996.

I'm not sure about the rest. I think Steve got a pic of the cast stamps and his thoughts were that this was not a remanufactued engine but an engine produced in the '90's - amazing that BMW would still that 20+ years after they first produced them.

I haven't found those photos yet, Tom, but I plugged that part number, 11009056520, into Google and came up with a remanufactured short block for a tii:

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/Rmfd-short-engine-22TIUS-A/1263936/11009056520.html

I can't recall the block date. Could it have been '92? I'll keep looking for those photos.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I haven't found those photos yet, Tom, but I plugged that part number, 11009056520, into Google and came up with a remanufactured short block for a tii:http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/Rmfd-short-engine-22TIUS-A/1263936/11009056520.html

I can't recall the block date. Could it have been '92? I'll keep looking for those photos.

Regards,

Steve

I recall that it was in the '90s, I need to get it up on the lift to verify.

Interesting that they would classify a new block as remanufactured.

Tom,

There seem to have been two remanufactured short engines applicable to tii's. I can't tell if one part number supersedes the other or if, possibly, they vary as to the cylinder head for which they were built, i.e., one with pistons matched to a 121 head and one with pistons matched to the later E12 head.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=1263936&ukey_assembly=259815&ukey_make=980&modelYear=1972&ukey_model=13500&ukey_driveline=6494&ukey_trimLevel=11925

I say this only because the second part description includes "(ZK=E12)", which very probably translates to Zylinderkopf = E12.

Without putting the car on the lift, but by simply opening the hood, you might be able to photograph your car's block -- where we saw the two-digit casting date -- below the exhaust manifold approximately between cylinders 1 and 2. But given the unambiguous marking of the block as a remanufactured short engine, you need to consider the possibility that it is a remanufactured short engine, regardless of the block's casting date. A block could be cast in '92 -- I'm just making up a date -- sold as a new block, and return later as a core exchange, only to be rebuilt and sold as a remanufactured engine.

Some people can tell from certain versions of the parts catalogue approximately when parts went NLA; I can't. Both versions of the remanufactured short block for tii's are currently NLA, but if someone could tell us, even if only approximately, when 11009056520 became NLA, it might shed some small light on the prior owner's acquisition of your car's present engine. And not that it tells us anything definitive, it was a common practice in the '70s and '80s for owners receiving remanufactured engines to trade in their old engine as a core. This certainly did not happen in the case of your car but perhaps that was simply the then-owner understanding the importance of keeping the original engine with the car.

It's amazing how even when a car is documented with records and oral testimonies, there are still many unknowns based on this or that physical evidence!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Tom,

There seem to have been two remanufactured short engines applicable to tii's. I can't tell if one part number supersedes the other or if, possibly, they vary as to the cylinder head for which they were built, i.e., one with pistons matched to a 121 head and one with pistons matched to the later E12 head.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=1263936&ukey_assembly=259815&ukey_make=980&modelYear=1972&ukey_model=13500&ukey_driveline=6494&ukey_trimLevel=11925

I say this only because the second part description includes "(ZK=E12)", which very probably translates to Zylinderkopf = E12.

Without putting the car on the lift, but by simply opening the hood, you might be able to photograph your car's block -- where we saw the two-digit casting date -- below the exhaust manifold approximately between cylinders 1 and 2. But given the unambiguous marking of the block as a remanufactured short engine, you need to consider the possibility that it is a remanufactured short engine, regardless of the block's casting date. A block could be cast in '92 -- I'm just making up a date -- sold as a new block, and return later as a core exchange, only to be rebuilt and sold as a remanufactured engine.

Some people can tell from certain versions of the parts catalogue approximately when parts went NLA; I can't. Both versions of the remanufactured short block for tii's are currently NLA, but if someone could tell us, even if only approximately, when 11009056520 became NLA, it might shed some small light on the prior owner's acquisition of your car's present engine. And not that it tells us anything definitive, it was a common practice in the '70s and '80s for owners receiving remanufactured engines to trade in their old engine as a core. This certainly did not happen in the case of your car but perhaps that was simply the then-owner understanding the importance of keeping the original engine with the car.

It's amazing how even when a car is documented with records and oral testimonies, there are still many unknowns based on this or that physical evidence!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve.  The block is dated 1982 and the 121 head is dated 1987.