winstontj

bare shell weight?

6 posts / 579 viewsLast Reply

How much does a bare shell weigh? 

Trying to sort out building a jig that's hardy enough that it won't flex when I rotate the chassis. 

Thanks.

EDIT: Any pointers?? 

Edited by winstontj

600 lbs.

About.

As for stiffness, measure first, start repair, measure, tack, remeasure, adjust, retack, remeasure, weld.

If you search you'd find that there's a bunch of disagreement, since it changed a bit over the years,

and one person's bare shell is another's undercoated nightmare....

t

Thanks Toby.

I meant more specifically pointers on building/making a jig/rotisserie. Challenge is to make it strong enough that everything stays rigid while at the same time allow full access to all the bits that need repair (grinding & welding). 

Most of the rotisserie setups I've seen are two-piece and with the condition of this chassis I'm pretty sure it would fold in half if I tried that. 

I've got access (free) to plenty of 1"-3" diameter schedule 40 black pipe. What is the best way to go about this? Should I run something underneath the length of the car and just not be shy about tacking it to the chassis? Do I need to do something more elaborate that ties into all of the measured structural mounting points listed here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/body-and-interior/frame-measurement-r82

I'm going to need to do both rear towers and subframe carrier mount points. Diff mount points are OK but even still it makes me think I need something in place on top and bottom to keep things like rear subframe carrier mounts and rear towers aligned to proper measurements. 

Thanks. 

I want this setup, check out at about 15:22

- Although I'll warn you, if you watch the whole episode you'll have to watch the whole series, and then you won't get anything done for the rest of the day. Plus, depending upon your disposition, either all your projects will look sane by comparison or you'll get the bug to do something totally crazy.

Edited by Solarphil

Winston,

I think you'd find that, if you were going to try to make a  rotisserie out of pipe strong enough to support the car without sagging, it'd be massive.

The loading at the ends is just too high, relative to how long a chassis is.

That said, pipe's probably not your best bet either.  I made a trailer out of 2x6 .065 square tube, and that thing is very stiff for as light as it is.

My earlier comment was intended to mean- stiffen the shell itself with lighter braces as you go, and let the rotisserie just carry the weight.

But if you made an underframe of larger square tube, that would probably do what you want.  Yes- weld the car right to it-

you can use standoffs made of chunks of square tube.  Or pipe, I guess, but it's a lot harder to get good contact area.

And when you're done, whack the ends off, put wheels under

it, a tongue in the front, and viola- a trailer!

heh

hth

t

Thanks. Yeah I don't like the pipe idea either its just I have access to a ton of free schedule 40. I was dreaming up something crazy and just didn't know how far I needed to go with it --and also ideally if I'm going to make one it would be nice if it could be reused on something else down the line. I'll have to see if a couple cases of beer will be enough for the guys at the recycling center to give me a heads up when some good metal gets dropped off. 

I guess I won't know how cold the water really is until I jump in. 

Time to start a project blog/thread.