Rooncicle

Tii with 5-speed swap won't go into reverse or 5th

6 posts / 1215 viewsLast Reply

My tii has a 5-speed swap done by the PO. It shifted okay when I bought it, though a bit sloppy and occasionally needed a good yank to get into gear. Well, for reasons I won't go into, I had my car in the shop for a couple weeks before having it towed home and found that it won't go into reverse or 5th. When I took a look I found a couple pieces (the two bows, stop buffer, and the shifter plate - not sure what that's called - according to the diagram below) flapping around. I've attached pictures of what I was seeing. 

I think this is the matching diagram:

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E21/USA/320i-M10/L-M/browse/gearshift/gearbox_shifting_part_2

So my questions: 1) is this causing my shift issue? 2) can I just bolt the plate directly to the body?

post-48547-0-27385100-1449979373_thumb.j

post-48547-0-32162900-1449979379_thumb.j

post-48547-0-65927800-1449979385_thumb.j

Would it go into them before? Did you have the output shaft seal replaced? From what I recall, if part #7 in this diagram was removed, the bolts have to go back in exactly the same spot or the transmission will not shift into 5th or reverse. Past that, I got nothing.

Mjk0N19w.png

Yeah it would go in before. As far as I know, the mechanic didn't touch the transmission at all - calling today to confirm. 

The only thing I can think of is that bow mount that holds the stop buffer has bent so much over time that the shift plate is now too slack for the linkage to get into gear.

I guess I'll just try straightening the mount and re-installing to see if helps and if it does then buy replacements.

Would it go into them before? Did you have the output shaft seal replaced? From what I recall, if part #7 in this diagram was removed, the bolts have to go back in exactly the same spot or the transmission will not shift into 5th or reverse. Past that, I got nothing.

Someone used an E21-style mounting system which in itself is not bad.  It just looks like they reversed the last mounting plate by 180degrees which cantilevered the mount quite a bit.

You do not want to mount the plate direct to the trans tunnel, you can either put the bracket in properly or simply put a mount on top of the plate and bolt the other end to the tunnel.

You should also flip the selector rod around to have the shaft oriented on the passenger side.

Hope that helps.

Edited by AceAndrew

Thanks, Andrew. I've ordered replacement brackets and a new rubber buffer. Until then, I reinstalled the brackets like you recommended and I'm able to get it into gear now.

Someone used an E21-style mounting system which in itself is not bad.  It just looks like they reversed the last mounting plate by 180degrees which cantilevered the mount quite a bit.

You do not want to mount the plate direct to the trans tunnel, you can either put the bracket in properly or simply put a mount on top of the plate and bolt the other end to the tunnel.

You should also flip the selector rod around to have the shaft oriented on the passenger side.

Hope that helps.

I bet they put the gear selector rod #6 on the wrong side.

59101895da1ae_ShiftRod.jpeg.b626e66424c0a950cfa320d8eda9d1f2.jpeg