cwlo

Rocker panel repair

9 posts / 1602 viewsLast Reply

I have a drivers side rocker that has the back part rusted.  I can fabricate a piece, and weld in, but am concerned that by welding in a short section, I will compromise the strength of the whole rocker.  My options are:

1.  Cut out rusted section and replace

2.  Weld patch on top of rusted area

3.  Put in whole new rocker...front to back.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Thanks,

Chris

post-49346-0-44582400-1449949361_thumb.j

Edited by cwlo

I think you will be fine cutting out the rust and welding in good metal.  I would butt weld the patch and not overlap anything, to minimize water trapping.

As you have discovered, the outer rocker panel aft of the door is actually part of the quarter panel, and the "real" outer rocker is beneath it with precious little space between the two.  And if the car has a sunroof, that's where the rear drains end--in the rocker panel!  

Before doing any welding, I'd check the inner rocker panel--that's the part that forms the vertical rise between the front floor and the door sill, and is also visible once the rear seat and quarter panel upholstery is removed (which you should do before welding!).  If the inner rocker is sound, that's the structural part.  The outer rocker contributes, but it's the inner rocker that is actually the frame rail.  

cheers

mike

IMO no reason to replace any metal that is not rusty.

It's also worth the time to make a tight butt weld instead of a lapped patch, though plug welds are ok to replicate factory spot welds.

Whut they said- replace the rusty bits, butt- weld the seams (carefully- it's easy to permawarp things) and seal it all up.

t

Great info...Thanks!  I will proceed with a patch butt welded in.

Chris

Those are all pinch/spot welded yes?

The rockers on my car were shot and it looks like some genius hammered the old rusty rockers into the car and put the new rockers over the existing ones... and then used pop-rivets and bondo to make it look all nice and pretty! Looks like factory was two pieces of metal (inner & outer rocker) pinch welded together --is that correct? I've got three pieces of metal now. 

Yes, there are two layers, spot welded together at the bottom.  Here is a pic showing the two layers from a repair I had to make recently.  Granted this is at the front of the car, but you can get an idea of how they put together the rocker.

OutsidePassCorner10.jpg

Edited by Ian