• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your 2002 plans for 2016???

Dabliz02

The year is coming to an end and it is time to see what everyone has planned for next year!!!  From events you want to do, to full restorations you want to do, or just minor things you want to address, all are welcome!!

I plan on hitting up Sonoma and Laguna Seca Raceways several times this year like normal.  Most likely will be attending the Brisbane Swap N Show and of course the historics at Laguna since I didn't have a chance to go last year.

For things I want to do I would like to eventually install a smaller diameter crank pulley I got from IE a while back, but I want to transfer the marks from a stock pulley over, just in case.

What about you guys???

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

Hopefully, by the time winter ends, my 02 should be back in commission after about a year down, with an m42 and a new suspension. I will then get my e21 recaros reupholstered and maybe get an Esty carpet kit and some eurotrash kick panels and get the interior into shape. By the time next winter hits I will turn my attention to upgrading brakes and wheels. 

Complete the suspension rebuild (I have all of the parts, just need to put her up the rack and do it)!

Have BBS rims straightened and tuned up

New Tires based upon new ride height. I would love to get a little taller tire and maybe even wider than the 195 / 50 / 15.

Do I upgrade the IE VW MKI / MKII disk brake conversion???

Install electronic boost controller

DYNO test

Brisbane

BimmerFest

Edited by burndog

I finally got my hands on a set of e30 basketweaves for the 1600. Now I have to decide if I really want to use them or find a set of steelies from an e30. I really would like a set of alpina/campangnolo/borrani but know they are pretty much out of my range. A new clutch may be in the future as well.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Plan to attend as many shows as possible, as I did in 2015.

Mid America '02 Fest, Brisbane (flying this time), The Vintage in Asheville NC, Vintage at Saratoga, Legends of the Autobahn with Athena, Lime Rock Historic Festival, Bavarian Autosport Show n Shine and Caffeine and Carburetors events in New Canaan CT. Plus other shows locally.

To do list, have seat belts restored by Bluedevils, send speedo to No Hollywood Speedo for repair and calibration.

Winter 2016-2017 send Vern to VSR for a sympathetic restoration.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I plan to drive it a lot. Some track time (first driving school in the 02 on December 19) and plenty of street time.

After 1-1/2 years of fixing and upgrading, there's nothing mechanically that needs to be done.

Winter 2016/2017 will hopefully be spent getting more power out of the (currently stock) M10, but it's running just fine now.

Suspension and brakes are fresh and ready for the track, 5 speed is ready for the highway.

Oh, I have an appointment for EFI conversion sometime next year, but I'm not sure when that'll happen. Patiently awaiting my turn.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

... and I am patiently awaiting your stock air filter housing  ;)

2016 -- make new strut brace to accommodate Bento's air filter.

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

Currently on the schedule: Parts lined up-will happen this January. 

1. Getrag 245.

2. 3.9 differential

3. 80 amp Alternator

4. IE aluminum radiator, hoses, clamps.

5. New water pump

6. New clutch and throwout bearing

7. Tie rod replacement

8. New guibo

9. New urethane steering coupler. (VW..Cheap!) 

Immediate future: late 2016

1. Recover Recaros,(Aardvarc)  sell the VW power bases, purchase bracket and install. 

2. Rust removal, new driver side floor pan. POR 15 (maybe mastercoat?) where it is needed. 

3. Rich mechanic. Hope he names one of his grand kids after me. 

4. New wheels(Drag 37 maybe) and tires. 

Later: 

1. Esty

2. Door cards

3. Paint. (Fender roll?) 

4. IE stage 1 suspension.

5.  Finally feel worthy enough to attend a BMW event. 

Happy Holidays and Cheers to all! 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

In 2015 I bought my first project car, a rusty '76 with a seized motor.

Seized motor is almost out of the car, a motor with compression that I bought from classifieds on here is waiting to go in.

No "restoration" plans, but man would I love to hear this thing run in 2016.

Then, it would be on to the rest in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Installing a 123 tune distributor

2. Tucking the bench bumpers.  Having seen one in person, it's is such a good look

3.Connecting new 134r air conditioning system

4. Maybe go back to a 3 core radiator with fan and shroud.  Long lights and stop and go traffic is a killer in the summer

5. Keep driving and tweaking things to make the car better 

6. Keep saying thank you for the complements

1. Paint and bodywork.

2. Engine tuning(123 Tune Bluetooth)

3. 5 speedinstall

4. LSD Install

5. Bottom end bore and rebuild

6. DRIVE!!!!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

My '02s are in pretty good shape--just some minor projects like finally mounting a right side early mirror on my '69 and fixing a split in the driver's seat upholstery on the '73.   And maybe I'll get around to installing the 3.64 LSD that's been languishing in my garage since 2012.  But if I do that, I might as well replace all the rear suspension bushings...uh, oh...mission creep!  

However, I have lotsa projects for my 318is over the winter to keep me busy (hoping for a mild winter). 

Planning to attend Mid America and Vintage at its new location ()--anyone for a caravan from Dayton for either event?  We'll have a new route to Vintage as it's moved to Asheville vs Winston Salem.  Also looking at the CCA Oktoberfest but not sure what I'll drive--if it's the '02 I'll be alone--wife won't cross country in one any more!

Looking forward to my 47th year driving 2002s!

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Atleast before Brisbane 2016 I would like to have done:

1) the small alpina flares fitted

2) new wheels are ordered, should be made and in the states by early March

3)body work done including the paint prep

4)PAINT

5)fit the better dash

6)E21 rear drums on

7)some other messed up pieces of the car getting attention

8)figure out if I need a new damn Kfish

please 2016 be good to me