• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Universal Dash Cupholder

aholderith

I know you'll get a lot of other "cooks in the kitchen" but I wonder how helpful an L shaped addition would be that extends off the back vertically and creates a shelf for the cup to sit on? It would also act as a third point of contact with the dash, perhaps integrating with the lower "lip" groove on the dash. 
$.02 just for kicks but when I land an 02 I'll pick one up to support your efforts!

sku_158250_1.jpg

Edited by theNomad

I know you'll get a lot of other "cooks in the kitchen" but I wonder how helpful an L shaped addition would be that extends off the back vertically and creates a shelf for the cup to sit on? It would also act as a third point of contact with the dash, perhaps integrating with the lower "lip" groove on the dash. 

$.02 just for kicks but when I land an 02 I'll pick one up to support your efforts!

I agree with this. It would also allow the holder to hold water bottles instead of just cups with a V shape

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

This would also be excellent for phone holding, handsfree/gps maps.

I know you can't use the actual BMW logo but I liked the prototype with the logo on the top. Maybe an " '02 " or "New Klasse" etc?

But dont mind me, I'm still in for one!

Don't worry, you'll be able to option yours out.

I modified the CAD data today so a universal phone clamp can be attached to the bracket - basically just stole the clever clamp part of the cup holder and added a flat faced flange in place of the fingers to attach the phone holder to. I left the first prototype printing at work when I left - photos tomorrow.

Also printed myself the original cup holder. Excellent - really nice addition to the car, thanks Alex!

Dave

edit to add: Of course I'll share the data if it works out okay.

Edited by mavhh

I modified the CAD data today so a universal phone clamp can be attached to the bracket - basically just stole the clever clamp part of the cup holder and added a flat faced flange in place of the fingers to attach the phone holder to. I left the first prototype printing at work when I left - photos tomorrow.

Also printed myself the original cup holder. Excellent - really nice addition to the car, thanks Alex!

Dave

edit to add: Of course I'll share the data if it works out okay.

Awesome. The main reason why I didn't pursue a phone holder is because 1. The dash cubby is good enough for my liking and 2. I felt like it was probably cheaper for someone to get a generic clamp, adhesive or suction mount opposed to buying a custom one from me or someone else.

Awesome. The main reason why I didn't pursue a phone holder is because 1. The dash cubby is good enough for my liking and 2. I felt like it was probably cheaper for someone to get a generic clamp, adhesive or suction mount opposed to buying a custom one from me or someone else.

I mainly use my phone as navigation when I'm out in the '02 so wanted somewhere to mount it that is visible (and audible)... It probably is cheaper to get a generic clamp but nowhere near as neat/slick looking as your clamp solution. Actually, on the basis I'm going to butcher a generic clamp as part of the solution, it definately isn't the cheaper alternative!

I mainly use my phone as navigation when I'm out in the '02 so wanted somewhere to mount it that is visible (and audible)... It probably is cheaper to get a generic clamp but nowhere near as neat/slick looking as your clamp solution. Actually, on the basis I'm going to butcher a generic clamp as part of the solution, it definately isn't the cheaper alternative!

Interesting. I may design a similar one, then.

I was also thinking of making one that has a stand of sorts and a bolt that threads into your standard camera so that you could have a forward or backwards facing camera on the dash. I am hesitant to go through with this though; I think automotive camera mounts have been beat to death by GoPro, i.e. my solution wouldn't be as effective. Thoughts?

Interesting. I may design a similar one, then.

I was also thinking of making one that has a stand of sorts and a bolt that threads into your standard camera so that you could have a forward or backwards facing camera on the dash. I am hesitant to go through with this though; I think automotive camera mounts have been beat to death by GoPro, i.e. my solution wouldn't be as effective. Thoughts?

I just bought an $11 dash cam from amazon, this would interest me.

I've just finished the phone holder variant...

Printed the 'de-cup-holdered' clamp in ABS, unfortunately only had blue.

Tapped two M3 holes in the front flange.

Butchered the ball/socket joint from the universal phone clamp and attached to the new bolt holes.

I'm really pleased with the position of the phone - should make using it as navigation much better. I'd have taken a picture of the phone in the clamp... but the camera is the phone...

I suppose the clever thing to do next would be to incorporate the ball into the CAD data and print it in one hit to simplify the process... 20160107_192838_zpsozdxrbn1.jpg

20160107_192829_zpsly7d2err.jpg20160107_194818_zpsmegj2elt.jpg20160107_195136_zps5bxtuohv.jpg20160107_195033_zpsyldh1pvb.jpg