aholderith

Universal Dash Cupholder

68 posts / 7053 viewsLast Reply

Hello everyone. For a number of weeks my brother and I have been working to make a cupholder that would mount on the dash and hold a number of cups, as we were sick of either jamming them in between the parking brake lever and the seat, or holding them in a delicate balancing act between our legs. Our solution went through a number of drafts, but we have a final draft now.

I thought about printing them out on our 3D printer and selling them, but I felt like that would be selling people on the FAQ short. A few of you have 3D printers, and I thought it would  be the right thing to do to release the file for everyone to use and print.

I could still sell them to those who don't have a 3D printer, but be warned that 3D printed parts are not as strong as their injection molded counterparts, which is one of the reasons why we decided not to sell them.

The cupholder has a rail that snaps directly onto the "lip" of the dash. When attaching, make sure you hook it around the back first, and then push down the front hook to seat it.

Since the FAQ won't let me upload .STL files, here is a link to the .STL https://mega.nz/#!XQ1GnaYb!hS8a-eaFphBXvxeTVFUOReSsp5vJbFIni_7-O8v_HO8

If you would like the SolidWorks file so you can edit our design, please PM me.

the cupholder doesn't really fit big drinks. we are big coffee drinkers so it can fit all starbucks cups and some other ones. try and stray away from travel mugs or big gulps etc

thanks,

Alex

post-47685-0-93196600-1449781193_thumb.j

post-47685-0-50114000-1449781363_thumb.j

post-47685-0-37199800-1449781376_thumb.j

That looks great. My commute is 5mins and I still end up with coffee on my pants. Thank you for sharing.

Awesome, I have access to several printers with various resolutions/materials at work and will give this a try. I'll report back with what works best. Thanks!

Hey!  Wait a minute!  BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine, not the Ultimate Drinking a Beverage While Driving Machine ;-)

Both hands on the wheel (except when shifting), no cell phones and certainly no texting, eating, drinking or significant other fondling!  

Yeah, right....

cheers (with tongue firmly in cheek)

mike

I'd buy one In black as well. Early morning coffee on the way to the Glen. Easy enough to remove before going on track.