• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does the NK 4 speed look like?

conkitchen

Were the Getrag units the same as those used on the 1600/2002?

Assume the bolt pattern is but the case design might be different.

Can someone educate me on the difference?

3 bolt flange?

shorter selector rod opening coming out of the rear case?

Serial #'s stamped on the back top of the case and not at the top near the engine block?

things like that.

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

As is the case with 2002s, there are no simple answers. Early NKs used the long-neck tranny, later ones the Getrag 232 and 242. 5-speed factory option was the 235.  I imagine there were different flange/bolt patterns throughout the history of the series, just as with 2002s.

Selector rods differed someitmes.

Here's my 232 after rebuild:

post-38342-0-62322400-1449723351_thumb.j

And the other end:

post-38342-0-08144700-1449723529_thumb.j

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

Are/were the drive shafts a slip spline like the 1600's?

Did they ever use a 3-bolt course spline output flange?

Dunno about the drive shaft but yes, my 232 uses the 3bolt course spine output flange. Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

"Rust Never Sleeps"

Well, I'm no expert but I doubt there's much demand except for those like myself who wish to keep their cars stock with original tranny and diff. The old 232s used the Porsche style syncros which can fail easily. My unit was rebuilt with a modified 2nd gear syncro so it oughta last a long time. The feel of the transmission back in my car is absolutely dellicious (along with all new long neck diff seals and new output shaft boots) but I understand that most people wouldn't go to all the trouble I did and would rather upgrade.

So no, 232 demand is probably limited except perhaps for use as emergency sea anchors.

"Rust Never Sleeps"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting this thread to pose a question.   I'm putting a '65 1800 back on the road and in the process I've installed a 2.0 M10 from an 02 and a 245 5 speed from a 320i.  Obviously there has been some fabrication and the last item is to design and install a driveshaft.  One option I'm considering is using a two piece unit from a 66 parts car I acquired, retaining the large guibo at the rear.  At the front of this particular drive shaft is round steel disk with U joint that attaches to an output flange like the one in the image Kit posted above,  So two questions really, does anyone know if the round steel output flange in question have the same splines so that it will work on the 245 and second, does anyone have one of those they are willing to sell?  Any help is appreciated.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

Bimbill, 

I have this same set up (2.0 L, 245/5spd, long neck diff) on my '67 1800 I just had the front of the original 2 piece driveshaft cut, to appropriate length, fitted with the 3 bolt 320i flange to match the 245 output flange, works great.  in the process of a restoration right now, unfortunately, its all apart in boxes.

Matt 

Matt, that is an option I've considered and I might well go that route.  I have all the pieces to make up that setup, just thought I would see if I could find the steel disk output flange.  The main reason is that it puts a u-joint at the front of the driveshaft vs. a quibo.  I'm glad to hear that your setup has been working for you.

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

Matt, that is an option I've considered and I might well go that route.  I have all the pieces to make up that setup, just thought I would see if I could find the steel disk output flange.  The main reason is that it puts a u-joint at the front of the driveshaft vs. a quibo.  I'm glad to hear that your setup has been working for you.

The beautiful thing about these cars is BMW has made so many upgrades to the original design over the years, it can be fun to custom the upgrades to your desire. I was thinking of even trying to fit a CV joint onto the back of the 245 like they used during the late 80’s on a few of the automatics. Then keep the Guibo on the rear. Protecting the back of the trans from damage if the 3 bolt guibo fails prematurely.
[emoji848]
Have fun with it, as it can always be changed later.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bimbill,
I forgot to answer your Q. The output flange from the early 4 sod transmissions will not fit on the the later 245’s as the the splines are different.. early models had coarse splines and the later models trans had fine splines..
I hope that helps.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk