LimeySteve

NEW Distributorless Ignition System test time

51 posts / 5790 viewsLast Reply

I just received the first prototype distributorless Ignition from Compu-Tronix , I have a bunch of installation procedures to cover to enable this to be an almost plug & play installation so tomorrow begins the in the field tests. Hopefully this is what we've been waiting for , I shall be reporting back .

6kqqxJB.jpg

hw3dXm9.jpg

From one US-based Limey to another...

Looks like a slick package. The coil appears to be the same as DIY Autotune sells for Megasquirt builds. Where will you mount the coil?

Is it programmable? If so, how?

Just to answer a few questions, I'll be mounting it tomorrow, looking at coil mounting in the stock 02 location, plug wires will be included & numbered, not programmable, we went with the Tii disi advance curve as a base point, Price TBA but I bought their Ford unit for my Folvo Pig Cheek project & it was $499 . we are intending it to be a simple installation with good ignition control through the rev range. Below is their blurb on their units.

• 100% OUTPUT TO 12,000 RPM
  • PRECISION CNC MACHINED ALUMINUM HOUSING, MADE IN THE U.S.A.
  • SAY GOODBYE TO POWER ROBBING, LOW QUALITY IMPORT DISTRIBUTORS!
  • SUPER “CLEAN” FLAT COIL PACK MOUNTING SYSTEM
  • BUILT IN TACH DRIVER
  • AUTOMATIC SHUT DOWN IF IGNITION SWITCH IS LEFT ON WITH THE ENGINE NOT RUNNING
  • INCLUDES 8 mm SILICONE HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE SET
  •  

•  
Edited by LimeySteve

Can't deny it looks good but it seems like a lot of money to end up with something with the TII curve.

Will they do custom curves on request?

a Tii curve is great for a Tii....not so much a carbed, lower compression car. Do they offer different models with different curves? Ideally, something that one can program themselves, like a 123 ignition.

As I said this is the prototype, we had to start somewhere  , they will do any curve requested I am led to believe. I will report back one I have set it up & run it , early days , early days.

Edited by LimeySteve

Any sort of load/ throttle/ manifold pressure options, you think?

The web site didn't tout any...

t

The installation was completed this afternoon , so easy it's ridiculous , Tach wire & ignition wire from the coil , First set #1 at TDC ,  remove distributor , install new unit rotate until led comes on & off , remove coil, disi etc . Tightened down the unit & it fired right up ! set the all in timing to 33 degrees at 3K RPM , went for a drive, BOOM amazing , pulls like a school boy, no hesitation , no problem all the way to 6500 RPM , idles good , drove great . I am unable to drive home as we are on a Hot Rod drive tomorrow but I'll report back with daily driving behavior next week.I'll also remove the now redundant tach adapter & tidy up the wiring ,removing all the redundant wires when the test is over .

rsbEdGR.jpg

JMwaYOV.jpg