• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift pattern transfers

Stan

Can somebody provide exact measurements for the 2002 4 speed shift pattern from left to right (the pattern itself) and top to bottom?

I would like it to be as accurate as possible.

The transfer should stick to a clean smooth surface.  I know the E9 is a textured surface but this should work. I will be supplying application instructions.

Thank you.

Can somebody provide exact measurements for the 2002 4 speed shift pattern from left to right (the pattern itself) and top to bottom?

I just measured the pattern on the dash of my '76.

The pattern itself measures .840" left to right and .390" top to bottom.

The OD of the R----3 is .860" and the top of the 3 to the bottom of the 4 is .820" 

If you're metrically minded:  .390" = 9.906mm,  .820" = 20.828 mm,  .840" = 21.336 mm,  .860 = 21.844 mm

I think $15. is well spent on a refreshed shift pattern overlay.

I'm sort of interested.  I'd prefer to spend more $ on a whole array of white transfers for shift pattern and other dash text.

Timely.  I've just started this same research for the switch names on the dash.  Early cars had none, 72 up had white text.  I have purchased an early crack-free dash for my 73 and need to put the text onto the dash to be correct.

Ganging up the die-cut pieces would cut down the prices, I believe.  It's not the material.  It's the cost of the die and the set up that gets less expensive the more copies you make.

Sorry to pollute the waters with a further request, but there might be some value in upping the order.

Lastly, it's CRITICAL that the process works.  Nothing would look worse than letters hanging off. :angry:

So are you saying you would order one 4 speed transfer sticker?

As far as other dash stickers, there would need to be a "critical mass" so, if you can get design samples and enough potential buyers, I think I can get it done.

I do like the transfer idea better than the sticker...

So, are you saying you would buy one??

I am trying to get a number of committed buyers.  The last thing I need is a drawer full of transfer stickers.

Thanks

I'll get one too.

4 speed or 5 speed?

At this point Stan, I would decline.  I would have to be certain that the transfer would adhere, and stay attached after a significant number of interior cleanings.

As I said in my post I require ALL the white lettering to complete a perfect dash.  I plan to visit local decal/pin-striping/transfer shops to confirm that an applique/transfer is the way to go. 

Looking at the existing dash, it looks like the white is painted, stamped, or screened on.   Not sure which.

I sincerely hope that the  transfer method is successful for you.  If so, I will in turn follow your lead and gang-up all the lettering to complete my replacement dash.   I may have to invest in a quantity.  Sure wish you were doing it instead of me.  :)

Ps.  Loving my wind deflector.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Paul,

I think its time for me to step in and clear up some of the questions....

Stan has asked me to make shift transfers so I have decided to let him lead this project....I will not be selling them however.

I do plan on making & selling the dash lettering for both coupe & BMW 2002 just as an FYI.

As for the quality, I have owned both cars & agree 100%, it is a 'hot' stamp w/white paint type of application.

With that said, I will give members the following options:

1) A normal transfer decal (easiest to apply)

2) A negative stencil (Just like factory, you will have to buy + apply your own white paint)

I would also like to ask a member to put up 'dead square' images of the dashboard lettering + shift pattern along with a reference measurement (for lettering). That way we can all rest assured the decals will be a 100% accurate match.

For lettering I plan on adding a few extra decals:

1) Lights

2) Wiper Speed

3) Lighter

4) Rear Def

5) Rear Foglamp

6) Front Foglamps

The patterns and lettering are different between the e9 coupe and 2002 so your help will be appreciated to get an exact match.

I hope this helps, and like I said, I can still make 'normal' transfers for anyone who prefers that method.

Thanks,

Mo

Edited by mo02

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

That's fine, I do want to thank you for putting up the dimensions...it is also appreciated by the community as well....

The images would be for lettering & shift numbers, I would prefer to have them look exactly as original and would have to make custom letters to achieve that look.

Thanks again,

Mo

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

That's fine, I do want to thank you for putting up the dimensions...it is also appreciated by the community as well....

The images would be for lettering & shift numbers, I would prefer to have them look exactly as original and would have to make custom letters to achieve that look.

Thanks again,

Mo

I would be in for both to see which one will look best:

1) A normal transfer decal (easiest to apply)

2) A negative stencil (Just like factory, you will have to buy + apply your own white paint)

Sorry I cant help with providing a picture of the original lettering.  I wasn't smart enough to record it before having my dash redone.  I would love to see my dash back to having the original look.  If you go forward I know many will greatly appreciate the effort.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777