• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing big brakes and cannot get the drum to fit

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/BMW.html

I loosened the parking brake all the way, but it appears to be too tight even if the parking brake was not attached. Between the wheel cylinder and the block on the bottom of the backing plate that holds the shoes, there is no more room for give. I can't get the drum on.

The drum appears to be near new and the shoes are brand new.

I got the driver side to fit, but it binds in one spot as I turn the wheel.

The adjusters are at a neutral position.

Guest Anonymous

with the 320 rear brakes.

I lengthened mine by making a coupling from some aluminum round stock then adding some "all-thread" to the ends. The stock cables are about 1-2" too short.

Guest Anonymous

22.jpg

The spacer block (thats what we will call it!)with the little spring in the middle of it.... is keeping the shoes too far apart for the drum to go on easily.

Check to make sure no one has welded material in to take up slack in the groove where the shoes sits. I have seen it before ;) You can grind a little bit in the groove on the "spacer block" or off the shoe where it sits in the groove to allow the shoes to sit closer together. I hope that makes sense.

You might want to take the other side back off so they both fit nicely.

Then you will be able to turn the adjusters out for very slight drag on the drums and adjust your e-brake cables.

HTH

Brian C

Guest Anonymous

I know I have a pic somewhere of the brake assembly, but its the bar on top not the block where the shoes rest on the bottom.

Brian C