• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-10 Engine Build Question

rstclark

OK So I just finished a resto-mod street car with mild engine mods -- maybe a 120 hp motor. It's still in the break stages and has some tuning to go Its fun to drive but seems a bit anemic compared to the feel of my Porsche 911SC as it should. This got me to thinking what would be the most practical engine build for an M-10 to achieve 150 HP at the flywheel ? The 150 HP range would get a comparable power to weight ratio. Just contemplating another car with this kind of power to have for autocross and the street.

How much Compression ? How much Cam ? How much Carburation ? or could Kfish be made to work with mods? Lots of questions I know Opinions and experience are most welcome

Thanks in advance

Rob

Is this a tii? I would rule out retrofitting mechanical injection for the reasons stated in a very recent post. Using something like Megasquirt to fuel inject and control ignition.

Are you sure that your carb and ignition is tuned properly? A session on a dyno could do wonders and wake up the car.

Not sure what HP figures are likely to be but I am going to build 9.5cr + bottom end, some mild porting / port matching for the heads. 123Tune ignition, 292 camshaft with sidedrafts. I figure that this will be exciting enough given how much I enjoy driving the car currently while basically stock with a 292 cam and 32/36 Weber.

Edited by Simeon

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

To add a more snap, consider (somewhat) lighter internals and flywheel. If you'd like to know more, send a message via this forum (I've got a solid reference from a 2002 owner for whom I built an M10 which went into a driver / auto-x car in Texas.)

(note: some folks suggest this makes a manual trans car difficult to drive in traffic - I usually politely suggest they consider driving an automatic....)

Thanks for the great replies It's encouraging to see that a reasonably good performance motor can be built without doing anything too exotic or too expensive.   Looks like this might do the trick:  9.5:1 compression ratio pistons, a 292 cam , Weber 38/38 carburetor maybe a 40., Balanced rotating assembly , ported intake manifold , good head work - maybe CC, and a 123 tune distributor . 

Brakes . Suspension and Drivetrain  would have to be addressed for sure

I think what you'd get there would be creeping up on 130 at the wheels.  

Remember, you're not starting with 110 at the wheels, but at the crank.

And the stock parts are pretty good for midrange torque, so gains are incremental.

That said, the number doesn't matter much.  If it has good throttle response (38/38 sure does)

and midrange grunt- and a lower rear gear- it'll be fun.  Especially if the suspension's tweaked to match.

And THAT is really the goal, right?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That is exactly what my car has: 292 cam, 9.5:1 pistons, 38/38 carb, slightly lightened flywheel, and tii header with ireland twin downpipe. It still gets decent gas mileage and gets along quite nicely with great throttle response and mid-range pull for passing. It does run out of breath a little above 5000 rpm but will still accelerate all the way to red line. That amount of power combined with a good shock/spring/sway bar/camber adjuster package is a well-balanced setup. As long as you don't go overboard on wheels and tires it is lots of fun because it will chirp the tires, go opposite lock off a tight turn, and drift a bit through the twisties.

Teachable moment for the kiddies -- A well-sorted 2002 will lean a bit, take a set, and then drift under throttle control better than just about any car. I have owned British sports cars of the same period and the trailing arm independent suspension on the 2002 was a revelation. When you put sticky, low-profile 7" wide tires it looks great but it loses the supple ride and raises the grip level so high that ruins the fun factor, IMO. Yes this would be another Get Off My Lawn moment brought to you by the crotchety Mr. Stephens on the corner.

Edited by gastephens

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

This is precisely what I found out when I bought my 02 in January. I've already got my cam reground to a 292, note you have to change the eccentrics if you choose to go regrind instead of getting an actual 292 cam but regrind and changing eccentrics is way cheaper. Waiting on 9.5 pistons to restock at IE and now I'm just trying to decide whether to go with 40s or the 38/38. Solid common build if I finish soon I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk