jgerock

Time to come clean: I'm officially a P-car owner

177 posts / 9206 viewsLast Reply

Short shift kit and bushings arrived today from Pelican Parts.   Installed the new shifter parts in the original housing along with the shift ball bushing (one came with the kit) and the shift support rod bushing.   I still need to do a minor tweak to the coupling alignment but after the first test drive - WOW.   I can't wait to have the PO drive it again.

8931227E-6E9D-4235-B86D-8C2111A84925_zps

IMG_9956_zpsz3uxbxcn.jpg

Existing shifter on bottom, new one on top

IMG_9958_zpsikm6u9lv.jpg

Installed in housing

IMG_9961_zpsdot049ej.jpg

This is the area behind the passenger footwell "board".  Think it is referred to as the "smuggler's box". 

IMG_9962_zpsrzfhohyf.jpg

(edited)

So, you like it?  

Wow - that's the first time I've ever seen the "sport shifter".  It's very close to the stock short shift kit.

Yep - that's the A/C intake for the evaporator.  It leads to the "smuggler's box" in the trunk.  The oblong shaped door right in front of the cardboard cover that goes over the fan and ducting.  That's the hole that the evap core and blower live in.

Speaking of which - while I know you aren't looking for more parts to buy, I always hated the cardboard cover over the fan blower.  So, I bought one of these:

i05.jpg

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Blower-Motor-Assembly-Cover-Porsche/productinfo/I05/

I know - nice to have not need to have.  But cool.

Edited by Kidasters

So, you like it?  

Wow - that's the first time I've ever seen the "sport shifter".  It's very close to the stock short shift kit.

Ken - I love the new shifter.  Completely transformed the way the car shifts (along with the two new bushings).  I used two Quick Grip bar clamps and 2 screwdrivers to ratchet the top plate into position.  Not too bad.   Glad I had the book "101 Projects" since the kit didn't come with any instructions.

Look at the difference between these two parts

Original on top, new one on the bottom

IMG_9957_zpszm5okugf.jpg

For sure the 101 projects book is worth it.  I can't remember what I used to get that top back on, but I remember it was a bear.  

I agree.  The short shift kit is fantastic.  I can't imagine driving the car without it anymore.

The next thing that can be a struggle is coupler alignment.  If you get that wrong, it can really mess up the transmission.  I think the book has a way to adjust it that never worked well for me.  What I ended up doing was getting the shifter in the 3-4 line and tightening the linkage.  When I followed the book's instructions, when in 5th, it was too tight - ie - no play at all.  When I aligned in the 3-4 line, and put it in 5th - there is a little bit of play like the book describes.  I did that install/adjustment 3 or so years ago, and it's still working, so I must have done OK.

I'm still playing with the coupler alignment. A fraction of an inch seems huge. Frustrating is the word

Greg -

Yep.

The way I finally solved it - I installed the Seine Systems gate shifter without the gate on the 1-2 side.  The extra springs in the system align the shifter along the 3-4 line.  Since I installed that - I haven't touched my coupler/shifter linkage in 3 years.

Jim, do you have a project blog on rennlist also? :lol:

Nope.  Not sure if those folks are as witty as here (I am in the Off topic section).   

Gratuitous tundra 72tii picture for you

IMG_5852.jpg

I don't like that Tundra car.

It's been de-trimmed! :D

BTW here's a pic of part of my rust issue. But the interesting thing to me is the interior paint on this original Riviera car...

post-9251-0-01138500-1446919581_thumb.jp

p.s. I'm not Marshalling you off the improper board section. :P

post-9251-0-01138500-1446919581_thumb.jp

Ray - that rust looks bad.

Jim - what's next?

I was going to drive the 911 yesterday, but it was raining here.  Yeah - my car is a garage queen, but also - the wipers really don't work well.

Ken

It's appearing pretty limited to the LS floor pan and that area of firewall.

Of course there's always more when you start digging. But I dug a bit.

The rockers, fenders, panels, rear floors and shock towers are all dry.

Heater box seal is bad. That likely contributed.

I can post more pics in Jim's thread. :D

Cheers,

Ray - you are correct..that rust above the pedal box is just the beginning of the rust that will be behind that firewall insulation piece.

Similar to the Agave 71 that I had

IMG_8187.jpg

Ken -  I power washed the underside of the car today while it was raining.  I got wet.

More items that came from Pelican:

• S/S flexible brake hoses (the flex hoses on the car look really old)
  • New master cylinder reservoir cap (mine was cracked)
  • Gallon of Swepco 201 tranny fluid

Car came with (3) new targa back window seals.  PO was going to have them installed but never did.  There are (2) small rust bubbles along the right side windshield cowl.  That will have to be attended to someday (pull glass out).

Body rubber seals for the targa opening are old.  Not sure of their numbers looking at the PEK.

(edited)

Ha.  The "I got wet" comment is funny.

On the seals  - for the back one, buy the Porsche one.  Avoid URO.  As with every URO seal, they fit like crap.  Yeah - they are way cheaper than the OE seal, but it's not worth it.  

For the front one, on the windshield, there is only one place to buy one that will fit correctly.  You need Targa Dan.  

http://www.carsincnj.com/

Dan has the only seal for the front that will fit correctly without modification.  You can do a search on Pelican, but Dan will send you install instructions. 

The bubble at the corner of the windshield is a common problem.  There's probably also rust underneath the seal, and you might need some metal work.  When ordering a new windshield seal, again - order the OE seal and avoid the URO seal.  Try and find someone that can do a Porsche windshield too.  My mechanic told me that it's pretty common to break them when installing.

Good luck.  I'd love to see that it looks like all clean.  I need the bottom of my car cleaned.

Edited by Kidasters