jgerock

Time to come clean: I'm officially a P-car owner

177 posts / 9478 viewsLast Reply

Yep - that's the tool.  Check it.  It should fit the bolt on the alt.

I'm wrong.  The longer lug wrench is 19mm.  The smaller (thicker handle) one is 22mm.  It does not fit my alternator pulley nut (that is 24mm).

Reviewing some other books, my car is missing the combination wrenches.

(edited)

Sounds like you have the tool kit for the original car.

I'd sell the alt wrench on e-bay or pelican.  Big money for the older tool, and try and get the correct one for your engine.

Tool kits for your vintage cars come up on e-bay or pelican a lot.  Be patient and don't spend crazy money.

19 is right for the lugs on the car.  Be careful - they might be aluminum, and twist off easily.  Ask me how I know.....

Instead of using the stock tool, I keep a 3/4" breaker bar and 19mm deep socket in the trunk.  Much easier to use.

Edited by Kidasters

Starting ticking off the project list {will work on the 69 tomorrow}:

Replaced the noisy alternator with reman Bosch unit sourced from BLUNT.  It arrived last night via FedEx.

While I was in there, I scrubbed and painted the fan and fan housing using AlumaBlast paint and some clear coat. Getting the nuts and washers onto the fan duct was a chore.

IMG_9947_zpshde8mllc.jpg

IMG_9949_zpsgozw3tdt.jpg

Swapped the Nardi steering wheel for a Carrera wheel that came with the car

IMG_9954_zpsxedfzq51.jpg

Removed the passenger seat to find out why the seatback release lever wouldn't work and found this amp just sitting there. Admittedly, I haven't even listened to the stereo.

IMG_9952_zpsqdcwpaam.jpg

The cable end wasn't fastened into the release lever and the cover would not allow the lever to move freely.  All fixed now.

IMG_9953_zpsckkrlrpf.jpg

Tried adjusting the position of the rear A/C condenser so it would not hit the fan housing but I think there is a bracket missing.

IMG_9951_zpsgp6nccle.jpg

the mirror switch is on the dash to switch from right to left.  It's the rocker switch under the oil pressure/temperature gauge.  you may not have it if your car has always had only one mirror.  The post on the door controls both mirrors.

I changed my mirrors to Aero mirrors off of a 993.  I like them better than the flag mirrors.  When I did that, I gut the wiring too.  It's pretty easy to turn a power mirror into a manual mirror.

The mirrors are offset too.  The D/S mirror is further forward on the door than the P/S mirror.  I'll have to go find them.  I think they are in the garage somewhere.

One of the best places to look for parts is the Pelican Parts classifieds.  I've gotten a ton of parts off of there.  And e-bay.  A lot of guys don't like the flag mirrors, so you can probably pick one up at a good price.

here:  Red Flag mirrors - $40

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/887219-fs-tail-lights-mirrors-strut-brace-weber-parts-brake-muffler-cleaning-out.html

My car does not have a rocker switch to allow control for both mirrors - maybe the one on the left side does both.  Looks like those flag mirrors already sold. Will keep looking.

(edited)

Keep looking Jim.  They come up all the time.

The wheel you put in the car is for an 87-89 911.  The earlier cars had a 3 spoke wheel.  Here it is in my 84.  I had it recovered (double thick), and asked them to use red stitching.  I really like it.

Yeah - there is a bracket on the bottom of the condenser to hold it up.  I'm running a ducktail right now, so I don't have that.  One thing you can do is run a black zip tie through the condenser and suck it up onto the black rear grill to hold it up.  That's what my mechanic did, and you can't notice it.

If you keep the A/C.

PS - the fan and fan housing look fantastic.  

DSC01665.jpg

Edited by Kidasters

re: the fan...let the "jimification" of the 911 begin!!

re: the amp/stereo.....it works, sounds good, and is LOUD.  i tested it on a drive around the block... :)

My wife is already ribbing me for taking the car apart twice..

Shifter was a little sloppy so I pulled it out for inspection today

Removed console and rubber boot

312711D8-14E3-4A33-8FD6-5BCC05339F14_zps

According to the PO, he installed a good used factory "sport" shifter that reduces the stock throw by only 10%.  He should have done the "short shift" version for 20% IMO.

044FC464-1237-4DFE-9A48-7D7FA25E1186_zps

This little bushing sits inside the shift rod coupling (presses onto the bottom of the shifter)

38959447-4EF2-4D83-90C9-8383A7F80FC0_zps

Here is the shift rod and hanger bracket that contains another bushing which I believe is my problem.

CBD8CDDC-6150-43DC-B8EF-2893DB44D453_zps

Behind the front seats, there is an access panel that reveals the rear coupling (joins the shifter/rod to the transmission).  There are two bushings inside this piece but think mine are fine.

5DBEF713-7135-433D-8985-8FC6C2392990_zps

No spray painting done today  ;).

(edited)

OK Jim - a few things here:

The big front bushing being broken is a common problem.  While you have everything apart - replace all of the bushings - the cup bushing at the bottom of the ball as well as the the on that the rod rides in.

To get the rod so you can rotate it, loosen the pinch bolt you can then rotate the rod so you can remove the cup on the other end.  You'll need that off in order to pull the bushing carrier off.

If you decide to pull the coupler - BE REALLY CAREFUL WITH THE ALLEN BOLT ON THE REAR COUPLER.  It's really easy to strip out.  Make sure you have a nice set of allen wrenches.   I bought a nice set of allen sockets - you need a nice tight fit so you don't strip it out.  

The bushings in the rear coupler fail.  Some guys press the old ones out.  I bought a Wevo to replace the stock coupler.

Edited by Kidasters

Whoops - one observation.  Your rear coupler bushings have already been replaced.  Looks like Delrin.

Oh - and I painted my rear coupler cover black.  Just because.  It's under the carpet anyway.

I replaced all of those bushings and cups as well. I also bought a rebuild kit for the pedal assembly, the bushings were worn out and all of the foot controls are much tighter now. Might want to check yours. I replaced the short shifter the PO installed with the original (for the sake of originality). Now I'm considering putting the shorty back in because of the long shifting throw these cars have. When adjusting the rod to the new linkage coupler (mine was cracked) I drove around with the cover off and tools at the ready. Just a couple of millimeters can make a big difference (at least it does with my early tranny).

I didn't re-paint my coupler cover though, Ken is much more anal than I!

For the sake of comparison, this is the shift coupler that came on my 69 VW.

It was pretty much done.  

019_zps12gwjjci.jpg

I replaced it with a poly one I had on hand and it shifts much better now.

022_zpsyhvdsik1.jpg

So much joy in making little improvements to old cars.  

For the sake of comparison, this is the shift coupler that came on my 69 VW.

It was pretty much done.  

So much joy in making little improvements to old cars.

Good stuff ! Now replace that one in the tunnel up near the shifter (if you haven't already done so). Wish VW did the bracket like Porsche did...