jgerock

Time to come clean: I'm officially a P-car owner

177 posts / 9475 viewsLast Reply

Thanks Ken and Andrew.  My wife joked that she'll have to learn a whole new set of terms for this car (as well as me).

No name yet.  I'm sure my wife will think of something.  She named both Celeste and Oscar.

Got the tii ready for a long weekend of driving in the mountains.  Sure felt funny driving it after the 911.  They are very different cars - especially the steering and clutch.

(edited)
That's awesome! What would he do without you? 

be a richer man!  with a wife who does not have me on her hit list!  Pay back will come when he helps me get a Brick (old BMW motorcycle that is not air cooled...) home in the very near future... I am hunting..

seriously, helping other people spend money on toys is a wonderful thing!  i have another friend with a wife who has me on her hit list for getting him an E30 race car.  He never even saw the car in person until he had owned it for two months!  

Edited by mlytle

Sure felt funny driving it after the 911.  They are very different cars - especially the steering and clutch.

They are very different, aren't they.  At the same time, with both, even though it's not power steering, they both feel pretty light.  Except when parking - that's when it's a pain.

WHEN you come to Houston - you need to drive the 2002 and then the 308 back to back.  That difference is even worse.  The clutch in the Ferrari is stupid stiff.

Congrats, she's a beauty! I predict your '02 is going to be under used and jealous like mine. Have fun and don't let up in the corners!

Congrats, she's a beauty! I predict your '02 is going to be under used and jealous like mine. Have fun and don't let up in the corners!

Thanks Greg. The PO sternly warned me about lifting off the throttle in the corners. "In slow and out fast". My first car was a 66 Beetle with the narrow swing axles. I got used to it....

Thanks to Tom Doherty here on the FAQ, I sent an e-mail to Porsche Classic in Germany and got this response on the car (similar to what BMW does):

Chassis # 9117210064

(original) engine # 6270xxx

(original) Color: Z6  Copper Brown Metallic

Interior: #31  Leatherette brown/beige

Dealer: Los Angeles

Invoice: September 1976

Options:

# 399 Air conditioning without front condensor

# 400 Alloy Wheels 6 x 15

# 402 Koni dampers

# 566 Fog lamps

# 590 Center console

Car was delivered without a right side mirror.

What is really strange about this is my last air cooled Beetle was just resprayed a reddish brown copper metallic (fugly) color when I got it in April 1993 (originally Clementine Orange) and I changed it to Guards Red (just like this 911).

b328d635.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

Very cool Jim.

I never did e-mail Porsche Classic.  I'm the second owner of my car - know all of it's history and I know the original owner picked it up in Germany (Tourist package).  Ferrari Classic is a different story.  They won't tell you anything.  And then, they want you to pay the dealer about $3500 to have the car "certified Classiche" - which I don't know does what or means.

Ahhh - the hated brown.  So many debates on the hated brown in Porsche forums.  I actually think it doesn't look that bad.

Well - you don't have the front condenser.  Good and bad.  Good because you don't have to worry about the front condenser fan shorting and catching fire (a common problem on older 911's).  Bad if you want to restore the A/C system, because you need all of the condenser area you can get in the badly designed 911 a/c.

Do you know how your old Beetle is doing?  Such a pretty car.  

Ken- I never heard from the buyer of my VW. It is in NJ (at least it was). He got a screaming deal on it.

Greg- thanks for the comment. Wish I could have found a 911 like yours for that price.

"The thing was perfect."

Technically Marshall, gregpark is correct... Jim had a Beetle.  (The 'Thing' was much more angular).

966e9a2375802226fdb6007ca262c27a.jpg

Jim seems like someone who buys a car and from then on, it   only   gets   better.  

His garage is like the Fountain of Youth for vintage cars.

(That is one Fortunate P-car)  :)

Awesome. I dove in last year. Great choice. Bucket list car... Nothing else is like it.

I have an 84 3.2 that needed mechanical work. It was no garage queen so i went a bit silly.

3.4l

66mm throttle body

Cup stype airbox

964 cams

9.8:1 comp ratio

Ssi's

M+k 2:1

Guard transmission short ratio gears

Guard Bearing retainer, reinforced diff side cover for the 915

Fully rebuilt 915

Guard 930 limited slip

Ducktail

Heat backdate

Lost 250lbs, 350 lbs planned while retaining an interior

260hp

2500lbs (goal 2350)

5F7F508D-F524-4A51-AC67-5E1C0256DB47_zps

2A861B33-B7AF-4C6B-B181-83402B786FB3_zps

009C8290-A500-4710-A8C8-1AA10F0E55F7_zps

0E0394D8-7C31-4A9A-B1F5-5EE1D26954BA_zps

If you have time on your hands, this is my journey/obsession over the last year. Not always pretty, but it ends well.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/831129-1984-911-3-2-beginning-end.html

And part 2:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canada/881579-1984-911-3-4-sleeper-hotrod-end-beginning-part-2-a.html