jgerock

Time to come clean: I'm officially a P-car owner

177 posts / 9468 viewsLast Reply

I've tried to hold out for a little bit but must confess that I bought a 911 Targa last weekend.   Been eyeing the Bring A Trailer daily e-mails for a while and recently inspected/drove a wonderful 85 Euro Carrera that didn't pan out.  Last Friday, another car was available locally in a regional P-Car forum so I contacted the owner and arranged to inspect it last Saturday along with Marshall Lytle (mlytle).   I liked it so much I put a deposit on it then we went back on Monday to seal the deal.   I drove it home Monday night in heavy traffic on the 495 Beltway then down the GW Parkway.  Tomorrow I visit the VA DMV for a new title and registration (oh joy). 

Specs:

1977 911S USA Targa made July 1976.  Per the VIN it is a very early 77 Targa.

Resprayed Guards Red everywhere

3.0 Litre engine is from an 1982 911SC rebuilt to European specs (retains CIS injection) in 2009.

Reupholstered Tan leather interior using 1985 era Carrera Sport seats (manual adjustments).  Seats are very comfortable.

Nardi brand steering wheel (will be switched out for a spare Carrera wheel that came with the car).

Current mileage 168K

Fuchs 15" alloy wheels refinished by Al Reed.

Stock suspension with Koni shocks/struts.

Car starts right up every time and runs very well.  No smoking.

915 5-speed Transmission shifts very smoothly and has a factory short shift kit to work with the sports seats.

Old style York A/C compressor that hasn't been worked on for several years.  I'm thinking of removing it.

Fixed door vent windows

Manual crank door windows

Alpine brand stereo system (I haven't turned it on yet - been enjoying that flat 6)

Came with stock targa top, spare other type top and new carbon fibre top that needs some adjustment.

IMG_4100_zpsm1xgtawj.jpg

IMG_4101_zps1dguj8v8.jpg

IMG_9840_zpskzawdch4.jpg

IMG_9844_zpsqjlrrcdp.jpg

IMG_9839_zpsxjgd1rn1.jpg

IMG_9836_zpspyz53bxk.jpg

IMG_4099_zpsaem6twns.jpg

These MSW brand Porsche staggered wheels came with the car. Anyone interested?

IMG_4098_zpsiqhjfdjc.jpg

Here is "the enabler" in the flesh checking out a sweet low mileage Beemer that is also for sale.

IMG_9834_zps5j5ql2qf.jpg

My wife now has both Ray and Marshall on her "hit list"..

(edited)

he finally fessed up!  i can break my silence!

the test drive

20151010_104502.jpg

Thought you had a two car garage filled with 2002s. Where is the P-car going to live?

with my M3 in my spare house...for now.

20151013_175442.jpg

Edited by mlytle

Wha.. . what did I do? :D

Cool car, I'm envious!

I think you should fix the a/c. I may dive into mine on the project car in the coming days. I have all the parts, I think.

Cheers,

My wife now has both Ray and Marshall on her "hit list"..

AWESOME...

Love the car... I'm glad the enabler was there to help close the deal. There's a strong P car presence in the Austin area... I have a suspicion that one day I'll fall into that pit.

Enjoy it lots while the weather holds.

Ed Z

(edited)

hmmm, need a second opinion on this "enabler" accusation...

all I did was:

find the car

send him the ad

help him with inspection

push him to go to bank

provide him info on the VA temp registration process

drive him to pick up the car

bring all the spare parts for the car back in my wagon

provide a place for him to store the car and parts indoors

was that all that bad?  :D  

maybe the seller should have given me that K1200RS as commission... B)

Edited by mlytle

all I did was:

find the car

send him the ad

help him with inspection

push him to go to bank

was that all that bad? :D:D:D

maybe the seller should have given me that K1200RS as commission...

I wouldn't call that enabling, just a really good friend!

Got my title and new Antique tags this morning.  Insurance coverage by State Farm good to go...Nardi wheel spokes are pretty sharp.

IMG_9897_zpsyadxh19w.jpg

IMG_9899_zpsutufklym.jpg

Need to fix this

IMG_9876_zpsjh5vvebb.jpg

Weird wheel locks

IMG_9887_zpsa436bi2r.jpg

Need to clay the paint and do a proper polishing job on it.  Car isn't a show queen- it is a nice driver.

IMG_9896_zpsmtgnbvlm.jpg

all I did was:

find the car

send him the ad

help him with inspection

push him to go to bank

was that all that bad?  :D  :D  :D

Maybe I should rename "the enabler" to "the commissioner"...

(edited)

So Jim - does it have a name yet?

It's a great looking car.  One thing - ask the previous owner if he changed the dash.  I don't think that's the dash that came in a 77- the center vent looks like a later car (87 or newer).  The vents in a 77 are much smaller (like my 84).

Those are the Porsche wheel locks!  I hope you have the key.  Be careful.  They are aluminum, and if you break one, they are a bear.  Ask me how I know.

I used to have some spare bumper accordions - but I think I got rid of them.  Dang.

For heater controls, do you have the "red levers" down by the brake handle?  They control the flapper boxes under the car.  Also - make sure you have the tubing between the flapper boxes and the heat exchangers.  if you don't, no big deal - it's cheap to buy.  But that commonly goes missing.  

Finally - if you want a passenger side "flag" mirror, I may have one out in the garage.  It will be red, but might need paint.  I can look.

Very cool buy.  I installed the factory short shift kit on mine - I love it.  So much better than stock.

Marshall - you crack me up.  

Ken

PS - I believe those are Recaro Sport seats for a 911.  The bolsters are larger - and the center part sticks out further.  Stock seats are smaller.  I have the sport seats in mine too.  Love them.

Here's a link to what the stock seats look like:

fly6586.jpg

K

Edited by Kidasters

So Jim - does it have a name yet?

It's a great looking car.  One thing - ask the previous owner if he changed the dash.  I don't think that's the dash that came in a 77- the center vent looks like a later car (87 or newer).  The vents in a 77 are much smaller (like my 84).

Those are the Porsche wheel locks!  I hope you have the key.  Be careful.  They are aluminum, and if you break one, they are a bear.  Ask me how I know.

I used to have some spare bumper accordions - but I think I got rid of them.  Dang.

For heater controls, do you have the "red levers" down by the brake handle?  They control the flapper boxes under the car.  Also - make sure you have the tubing between the flapper boxes and the heat exchangers.  if you don't, no big deal - it's cheap to buy.  But that commonly goes missing.  

Finally - if you want a passenger side "flag" mirror, I may have one out in the garage.  It will be red, but might need paint.  I can look.

Very cool buy.  I installed the factory short shift kit on mine - I love it.  So much better than stock.

Marshall - you crack me up.  

Ken

PS - I believe those are Recaro Sport seats for a 911.  The bolsters are larger - and the center part sticks out further.  Stock seats are smaller.  I have the sport seats in mine too.  Love them.

K

Not sure about the dash.  The car was completely reupholstered by a shop near Brookfield, WI back in 2008.  Notes from the main shop indicate "take vehicle to custom top shop for seats/dash (insert in black) and new carpets.   Another PO was in Milwaukee, WI before it ended up in MD.  I don't have any records before then but will try to contact the folks in WI.

Another weird thing.. car did have a front spoiler and rear whale tail spoiler.   PO in MD didn't care for them so he removed them and found a rear decklid and had it sprayed to match the car.  The mounting holes in the front apron are still there for the rubber spoiler. 

I've started looking on line for a right side mirror.  I'm still learning where to look.  Would appreciate it if you could send me some pics.   Is it a manual mirror - my door panel does not have a hole like the D.S. one (electric).

There are (2) red levers at the handbrake for the heat.  There is also the remains of a light which may have been for the old throttle lever from the 2.7 engine.

all I did was:

find the car

send him the ad

help him with inspection

push him to go to bank

was that all that bad?  :D  :D  :D

That's awesome! What would he do without you? Glad Jim has you as friend Marshall.

(edited)

the mirror switch is on the dash to switch from right to left.  It's the rocker switch under the oil pressure/temperature gauge.  you may not have it if your car has always had only one mirror.  The post on the door controls both mirrors.

I changed my mirrors to Aero mirrors off of a 993.  I like them better than the flag mirrors.  When I did that, I gut the wiring too.  It's pretty easy to turn a power mirror into a manual mirror.

The mirrors are offset too.  The D/S mirror is further forward on the door than the P/S mirror.  I'll have to go find them.  I think they are in the garage somewhere.

One of the best places to look for parts is the Pelican Parts classifieds.  I've gotten a ton of parts off of there.  And e-bay.  A lot of guys don't like the flag mirrors, so you can probably pick one up at a good price.

here:  Red Flag mirrors - $40

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/887219-fs-tail-lights-mirrors-strut-brace-weber-parts-brake-muffler-cleaning-out.html

Edited by Kidasters