• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ok fess up, who has painted or thought of painting their car

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I painted the lower quarter of my old Datsun king cab with a black band around the bottom for a nice two tone look. That was just out of boredom and some extra paint I found in my basement. However I watched my neighbor paint his 240Z entirely last spring. it looked good for about two days, and now is cracked over half the surface.

Guest Anonymous

...on the bottom of my fenders and on the rockers. It looks better than having chips and faded spots until I can paint the whole car. (at a paint shop, not with spraypaint) My dad had an old Dodge pickup that the PO had painted black with a BRUSH! Dad said it looked pretty good.

Byron

76 02 inka

Guest Anonymous

The replacement hood and trunk lid from Antelope were Granada and had cracking paint from prior minor body work, so the outer surfaces got chem stripped to bare metal then painted with Rustoleum satin black, along with the upper surfaces of the doors and quarters (sort of a pseudo-Alpina look). It was very difficult to avoid zebra-striping on the large flat surfaces of the hood and trunk, even painting in the shade on a warm afternoon.

It doesn't look bad, but would haev been much better with a wider fan from the spray head.

Guest Anonymous

Decades ago, while under the spell of some long forgotten substance I did p[aint my beetle with a paint brush. Pretty cool, for a short time. Drive down the road and sheets of paint would come flying off.

Guest Anonymous

The 02 was blue with white racing stripes, the 32oI we just used what ever sparypaint we had, lets just say it was colorful. and the VW Bug is Silver with Black. They all turned out ok and touch-ups were cheap and easy.

Andy

Guest Anonymous

I was walking down the street with my girlfriend here in SF when we encountered a man painting his (seemingly very clean) 1964 VW Bug...with a brush and a can of white, Benjamin Moore interior paint. When I asked him nonchalantly what he was doing, he replied that he was "getting her ready for the parade..." Not sure which parade he was talking about...of course, there's a fair variety here in SF...

Coop

Guest Anonymous

my father in law told me about painting a car back in the 30's with a Flit gun. For those of you who don't have the faintest idea of what a Flit gun is--picture a bicycle pump attached to a one pint tin can. It was used to mist bug spray (Flit was the brand name, as in "Quick, Henry, the Flit!") by pumping the "tire pump" handle, creating a vacuum in the tank and forcing the Flit out the tank's nozzle. It worked pretty good with thinned paint, too!

History lesson for tonite.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

100NIKON-DSCN4691_DSCN4691.JPG?dc=4675447641339551814

My recent '69 acquisition has bubbling paint on the eng hood and roof. The car has 405k well documented miles and has been repainted a couple of times, so there's some THICK paint on it. I peeled the biggest spots, sanded them down, and have sprayed them with Rustoleum (matches fairly well from 20ft;) as a temporary fix until I can get some POR 15, body filler, and finishing paint, which will be the temporary fix until I get the car stripped and re-painted proper... given that we're expecting our 2nd baby, I'm thinking this might be a couple years, rather than months, away...

Guest Anonymous

It was originally Sahara, but I swapped out the damaged passenger door for a blue one. Didn't have any Sahara paint, and the dark blue was on sale.

I stareted by masking it off and spraying, then I got even more lazy and stopped masking and just used laquer thinner to clean off the trim. Much faster.

In the matter of a hour or two I had a new paint job worthy of the Blue Beater commuter monster.

The highlight was at a filling station. Some kid says,"you know, a little rubbing compound will make that color come back". I told him, "Yeah, back to the original TAN color. Dude, that's just spray paint!".

It's all on the application.

Guest Anonymous

Many, many moons ago... I was making some extra money in the summer helping my dad (a teacher at the time) paint houses. He was using his '76 (I think) Vega to haul equipment & supplies around and it was starting to look a little rough around the bottom. We were painting the exterior of a house a color that pretty closely matched the Vega (beige). He decided to give it a try and painted everything below the door trim. It looked pretty good from 15 feet and held up well until it went to the junk man a few years later (due to problems with the 4ws... but that's another story...). For as bad as that Vega was, it was a good car to tell stories about.

As for the '69 2002, I never could find anything to match the Florida paint, so it left this world with a patchwork of grey and black paint covering up the rust.

Karl