• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ride quality

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have 15" rims w/205-50 yokohamas on my new 73tii. The car handles ok but is pretty harsh on the bumps.I like the look of the 15" rims that came w/ the car ok ,( was maybe going to save some $ and get some panasports later on). But now I am having second thoughts. Suspension is pretty much stock. Any body have any suggestions on better ride quality w/ this kind of set-up? Car is daily driver. TIA

Tim

Guest Anonymous

odds with handling.

1. The lower the profile tire, the less cushioning effect the tire has against rough roads. But low profile tires squirm less, so are better handling.

2. Shorter and/or stiffer springs will also roughen the ride, but handle better than stock length/stiffness springs.

3. Bilstein Sport shocks will jar your fillings out--esp when combined with the other two performance enhancements above. the HDs are a good compromise for mostly street and occasional track use.

4. Urethane suspension bushings don't have the compliance that the OEM rubber ones do, but help handling

5. Larger sway bars are about the only suspension mod that won't harshen the ride.

So, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice--esp on an older car like an 02. Harsh ride, great handling; soft ride, stock (still not bad) handling; somewhere in between.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

It might be worth trying new stock bushings, jounce bumpers and dampers (bilstein hd) if those parts are old (original?)

It'd be nice to have the time to install a set of Bilstein take-apart dampers and tune them with a 15" tire on the car. There are plenty of cars today similar suspension architecture as the 02 with low profile tires that ride well....the springs and shock just weren't originally tuned for it.

Larger stabars hurt the ride anytime the the wheels don't jounce exactly the same amount (one wheel bumps, potholes, turning into a driveway etc)

If I was going to try urethane I'd start with just intsalling the one at the lower control arm to body point. That takes most of the lateral load during cornering. Keeping the rubber in the radius rods will keep some of the compliance during straight ahead running so your rolling plushness doesn't go out the window.

Guest Anonymous

..springs and new Boge (OEM/plain jane) shocks. This made a huge improvement in ride quality. I think the only way for a 2002 to really ride nice is to keep it really stock. Whenever I drive my stock '75 2002 I can't believe how mellow the ride is...and how much it leans in turns. The car has 165SR-13 tires, so my expectations are not too great though.