cgates30

Becoming acquainted with my car and deciding on upgrades

26 posts / 1818 viewsLast Reply

How are your motor mounts? Sounds like maybe the engine is moving around a lot.

That's something I hadn't considered. It seems that it doesn't move too much, but I can rev it up and check. I was thinking along the lines of that arm mounted to firewall is in tension trying to reach up to the ball. 

That's something I hadn't considered. It seems that it doesn't move too much, but I can rev it up and check. I was thinking along the lines of that arm mounted to firewall is in tension trying to reach up to the ball. 

Look at them. If they look like they were almost burnt or charred, or if they are gummy to the touch its time to change them. Either way it can't hurt to refresh most of your suspension and rubber bits unless you know that they have been recently changed. 

Don't know anything about a Solex double barrel carburetor but I can promise you that most people mod these cars having never driven a decent stock performing car in the first place --or, stated a different way, they look to mod 2002's looking for more from a poor example/starting point. 

Get it to stock. Drive it. As things break/fail/wear out you'll be in a better position to decide whether or not you want to go stock/performance. 

Have a great new year. 

I'm a fan of my single barrel solex on my stock 2L m10 engine. I've had a few different carbs on variously built motors, and the smoothest by far has been the single barrel solex, with the 38/38 coming in at a close second. I prefer to have a manual choke on all my carbs. I didn't care much for the electric or water choke. They worked, but I rather have a single cable and a well-tuned choke to fiddle with. 

edit: the single barrel solex on a strong m10 is plenty of fun. I don't plan on changing it for any other carb. In fact, I just rebuilt it less than a month ago.

Edited by danco_

Look at them. If they look like they were almost burnt or charred, or if they are gummy to the touch its time to change them. Either way it can't hurt to refresh most of your suspension and rubber bits unless you know that they have been recently changed.

My aim is to get it stable and looking at the suspension is part of that plan. I'll pull that up since it kind of wonders the road anyway. The Solex is history, replaced it with a DGV.

That little round knuckle has a swivel ball that fits into it. The knuckle pops off the ball
What's going on at the firewall linkage mount?  The linkage is supposed to float for and aft in the mount so it doesn't pull off at the carb.

What's going on at the firewall linkage mount?  The linkage is supposed to float for and aft in the mount so it doesn't pull off at the carb.

There is a little lateral float in it. With the DGV carb, the throttle sits a little higher than it did on the original carb. With the original carb, that linkage was horizontal and now since it is lifted up we've got the long side of a triangle going on. (I guess) it doesn't have quite enough float. OR, maybe that swivel is worn out and just doesn't hold it in place like it should. 

Anybody know the part number for that swivel? Maybe I could find a new one. 

That ball & socket linkage piece should have a small spring-wire (retaining pin) in the "socket" which snaps over the ball and keeps it from coming loose as you are experiencing.  Perhaps that retaining wire is still in place, are you sure you are pushing the socket fully seated onto the ball of the throttle shaft?  If the wire is indeed missing, you could replace it with a small wire, after you seat the socket onto the ball.  It will need to be pretty tiny, as the hole is quite small on the socket side of things.

Look to Pierce Manifolds, or any number of online Weber dealers for linkage parts.

Ed

It doesn't look like the socket part is there. That ball should fit into a socket as described above but it doesn't look like its there in your pic. It's like a cup end that fits over that ball. That keeps the linkage from slipping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That ball & socket linkage piece should have a small spring-wire (retaining pin) in the "socket" which snaps over the ball and keeps it from coming loose as you are experiencing.  Perhaps that retaining wire is still in place, are you sure you are pushing the socket fully seated onto the ball of the throttle shaft?  If the wire is indeed missing, you could replace it with a small wire, after you seat the socket onto the ball.  It will need to be pretty tiny, as the hole is quite small on the socket side of things.

Look to Pierce Manifolds, or any number of online Weber dealers for linkage parts.

Ed

That would make sense. When I was replacing the carb, that ball/nut fell out of the socket and took 2 hours to even find it. If there was a spring that popped out I never saw it. I'll check the socket to see, but I doubt it. I'll have to look for a new part, unless I can find a way to get a small wire in there.

It doesn't look like the socket part is there. That ball should fit into a socket as described above but it doesn't look like its there in your pic. It's like a cup end that fits over that ball. That keeps the linkage from slipping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, that picture I had was lifted from another post. Mine is in worse condition. I can "snap" it back into the socket (feel a little snap), but it doesn't take long for it to work its way back out.