• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member Post? My 2002 and what I need to do... 1st time build

ATX-RX

Hey Guys!!!

My name is Christian and I'm located in Austin Tx. I'm here to learn, toy and tinker with this 2002 and looking forward to utilizing the knowledge on this board. This is what I have so far:

1975 2002 Base

4 speed

Ats wheels

weber carb

And that's about all I know. I have just recently had a buyers check performed and I'm hoping to get to do as much of the needed repairs on the list as possible. Let me know what you guys think!

DBE272B0-0A05-48A1-A094-2D6F16F420C8_zps

7673976D-1CB7-45D1-B6EE-F5FB2CFD9034_zps

29D36692-F364-4942-B3D9-26CC036BF859_zps

0532D197-A549-4821-B1F8-220900C466A4_zps

0C0708E0-57CB-4A8B-978B-C8C3F3A34525_zps

08A5FAFB-CD23-49A8-9092-9B7C5433AAC6_zps

DA7A84A1-AB2B-496F-9BD6-81BCF4D257AF_zps

C537B713-19CC-4688-B728-F92E4EEBC7A3_zps

One thing I didn't get from the shop is which Items to Prioritize on this list- so any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by ATX-RX

Not a bad looking new ride, but looks like you have some work in front of yourself for sure.  The one really concerning thing I see on that report is the structural rust on the frame rail and floor pans.  This could really make or break the car, so start looking into just how bad it is and what you can do about fixing it.  Next things to tackle would be the driveline and suspension.  I wouldn't drive it very much before fixing the driveshaft bearing and putting in a new flex disc.  

Not a bad looking new ride, but looks like you have some work in front of yourself for sure.  The one really concerning thing I see on that report is the structural rust on the frame rail and floor pans.  This could really make or break the car, so start looking into just how bad it is and what you can do about fixing it.  Next things to tackle would be the driveline and suspension.  I wouldn't drive it very much before fixing the driveshaft bearing and putting in a new flex disc.  

Average cost of flex disc and Bearing?

and as for suspension- are we talking perch pads? center track rod?

the quick input is greatly appreciated!!!

What I would prioritize:

- exhaust leak, driveshaft and flex disc problems, transmission seals and a shifter rebuild -- the last two aren't critical, but with the exhaust and driveshaft out you might as well get it done.

- replace the front strut mounts and replace whatever needs fixing with the springs and struts

- all the other suspension bushings and steering components

- cooling system hoses

- brake system (booster, emergency brake, etc.).

Those are the items that are safety concerns or will leave you stranded.  The rest--and there's a lot with the rust mentioned in the inspection--can be done later.  Based on the report, I wouldn't drive it until the first list is done.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

You got yourself a very thorough inspection for $150.  Whoever did it clearly knew the marque, and knew just what to look for. Money well spent. BUT -- it's hard to know where to start on what is an exceedingly long to-do list. "Strut mounts failing" and "center track rod failing" are especially worrisome items. Not to mention the brake issues, structural concerns, and the ominous "smoke on closed throttle deceleration." There is nothing on the list that can't be addressed, but you (and an expert) should draw up a realistic budget covering all action items, then decide if you want to commit. You could easily be into five figures just to cover the very basics. Upgrades and cosmetic/discretionary things -- extra. Bottom line: buying a car that has had most of these issues addressed is ordinarily far cheaper than buying a neglected beater, then undertaking all the necessary work. 

You're lucky to be in Austin--besides being in the home of the Longhorns!  Terry has been working on 2002s longer than many 02 owners have been alive, and is a wealth of knowledge on the marque and the model.  I'm sure he would prioritize the list he gave you, but it's really very simple.  Brakes first--stopping is much better than going!  Then get the engine running smoothly without stalling, make sure steering and suspension are in good shape, the electricals are all functioning and finally all the cosmetic stuff.  

But first of all--ask Terry's advice--and other 02 owners in the area (there are more than a few) about that rust.  Really bad rust can mean your car is a parts car unless...either you can weld, or are willing to pay a competent welder $$ to fix the rust.  Structural rust can be fixed, but it can be expensive if it's extensive.  That left hand frame rail rust is probably due to a leaking master cylinder--that's where all the leaked brake fluid collects.

Lotsa guidance on the FAQ on doing all these jobs, and a bunch of blogs of folks you have walked your path previously, providing you with a clear path of what to do/how to do it.  

Welcome to the fraternity/sorority

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hey Guys!!!

My name is Christian and I'm located in Austin Tx. I'm here to learn, toy and tinker with this 2002 and looking forward to utilizing the knowledge on this board. This is what I have so far:

1975 2002 Base

4 speed

Ats wheels

weber carb

And that's about all I know. I have just recently had a buyers check performed and I'm hoping to get to do as much of the needed repairs on the list as possible. Let me know what you guys think!

DBE272B0-0A05-48A1-A094-2D6F16F420C8_zps

7673976D-1CB7-45D1-B6EE-F5FB2CFD9034_zps

29D36692-F364-4942-B3D9-26CC036BF859_zps

0532D197-A549-4821-B1F8-220900C466A4_zps

0C0708E0-57CB-4A8B-978B-C8C3F3A34525_zps

08A5FAFB-CD23-49A8-9092-9B7C5433AAC6_zps

DA7A84A1-AB2B-496F-9BD6-81BCF4D257AF_zps

C537B713-19CC-4688-B728-F92E4EEBC7A3_zps

One thing I didn't get from the shop is which Items to Prioritize on this list- so any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the 02 world!  There are good number of us ATX 02rs.  8 of us group text often and get together from time to time.  What part of ATX are you in?  I'm up in Cedar Park.  And yes, as everyone else has mentioned, Terry has his shop down in South Austin.  I stopped by his shop last week and their new Vintage Bimmers has really taken off.  

post-37556-0-98238100-1443244930_thumb.j

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Doesn't look too bad. 

For what it's worth, I prioritize fixing/replacing bad parts this way: 

If it's safety (brakes mostly): Stop reading this and go do it!

If it spins: fix it NOW!  it will take other parts out when it fails and cost money

if it moves and/or is important (steering/suspension): Fix it quickly

The rest: when you feel like it (except electrical, that's important and can burn down a car)

Slight leaks can wait, make the car safe.

I like the look.  What are the bumpers from?  I'm not saying they're bad, just different, and kind of grow on me each time I look.  I also like the no center console look.  And those rims look good on that car.

But that's just my 02 cents

Allan

Welcome to the 02 world!  There are good number of us ATX 02rs.  8 of us group text often and get together from time to time.  What part of ATX are you in?  I'm up in Cedar Park.  And yes, as everyone else has mentioned, Terry has his shop down in South Austin.  I stopped by his shop last week and their new Vintage Bimmers has really taken off.  

I'm in south Austin/ Buda. I saw a number of them the day before I purchased the vehicle at C&C this month! I'll be honest guys- I can't tell you how reassuring it was to wake up to this much response overnight! I figured I had some work ahead of me but for only spending $2k on the car, I thought I could part it out for at least that much. The exhaust leak is the is the last on my least with the priorities being Steering/Suspension. Brake, Rust, then MISC. I really just want to get everything fixed on it to where it can pass a state inspection so I can take it to C&C next month.

As for the work ahead of me, I'm not super concerned about the level of difficulty involved, but more so the parts availability and resources. I rebuilt the motor on my daily and have done every modification on the vehicle myself so far. The only thing I've had others do is tune it. I really appreciate that since I've gotten older and into more of the odd/niche cars I have received great support from the communities involved with these vehicles. Just as a reference of oddities in my vehicle choices, this is my daily:

F495E790-02FB-4417-8FDA-6B08A90F0AC1_zps

I'm looking forward to getting this car back home and doing everything I can my self, then getting the professionals involved. 

'Till next time Gents,

CM