• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

windshield frame rust repair

jdt10768

I have some surface rust and a couple rust pinholes on my rear window frame / front frame as well

What is the best method for fixing?

I have wire wheeled it off, and was planning to use Eastwood rust encapsulator then touch up paint - cause my car is pretty nasty on the exterior anyway.

I searched, but "still haven't found what I'm looking for"

what kinds of fillers would you recommend? epoxy? I have a good body shop around the corner, but $$$ 

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Without seeing the affected area it is difficult to offer the correct answer. None the less if you have corrosion in that area that results in pin holes, then anything short of metal work (cutting the affected area out and replacing it with clean metal) then you are likely chasing your tail...IMO. Although it seems that your ride has other issues so spending $$$ on this issue may not be worth it. 

Personally I would take the long route and eliminate the issue entirely, it is the more costly option but one that will last if done properly should you plan to kep the car for any length of time.

Edited by joysterm

The "best" way to fix it (which is what you asked) is to cut away the cancerous metal, as far out as you need to in order to get to solid un-rotted metal, then butt-weld in a patch. Anything short of this will require repair once again.

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

Anthony is correct. If it has even one pin hole through then the steel is already rusting from both sides. You can treat the rust as described but unless you can do both sides it will only be temporary. Temporary could be from months to 10 years but it will come sooner or later.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

If you need a windshield frame that is mostly rust free (which lacks the bottom drivers side corner that I used), I'm still trying to get rid of one that I cut out of a parts car.  It's really in the way in my workshop, and I've almost dumped it in a scrap metal bin a couple times.

It would be better if I cut it up in a couple pieces, but I can send it off to SC for cost of shipping.

When it came time to fix mine, I cut that frame out of a parts car with a sawzall, and gave it to my body shop guy and dropped off my car off and he took the windshield out, then I pulled dash for him.  He found the rusty part, patched in my good corner and put some paint on it for $100 (all that was necessary, and he was really really cheap), then I drove car home and had a had a mobile windshield place come and reinstall windshield with new BMW gasket that I had gotten from BLUNT.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Voice of (minor) dissent:  I've had very good service from POR-15 paste.  It's like regular POR paint, but it's the consistency of toothpaste.  By itself it will plug a hole up to about 5-6mm in diameter; anything larger will require a little fiberglass windowscreen to bridge the hole.  

I tried some of this stuff on a rusted rear fender opening lip on my E30 and around the license plate lights--both are notorious rust spots on E30s.  There were several holes varying from a couple of mm to 3/4" (19mm).  I plugged 'em with the POR 15 paste, then smoothed the POR and finished the patch with filler, then sanded again and primered.  Never got around to painting, but after two Ohio winters, complete with road salt, there was no new rust, and the patches hadn't bubbled or fallen out.  

Based on that, it might be a good, faster way to repair your window lips.  Just paint over the POR before reinstalling the windshield/backlight.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you don't have the 'skill-set' to cut out and fab up new metal - POR15 is a great alternative.  If the holes are small, you can put a backing on the holes and coat the area enough to fill the holes and area around it.  since the window is out, I would POR15 the whole thing to further protect it.  Hot Rod Magazine did an article a few years back showing how to fill holes in floors and non-structural areas using fiberglass cloth.  I have tried this method (on floors and kick panel areas on 40's/50's cars) and it worked amazingly well - aesthetically 

The US Navy uses this stuff extensively on its ships...that window surround will outlast the rest of the unprotected car.   :P

Ever try sandblasting this stuff off...I have...it doesn't work very well.   :blink:

1972 BWW 2002 - Current Project (including: 1956 Mercury 2Dr HT,  (2) 1964 Ford Galaxie's, 1965 Ford Econoline 5 Window Truck)

2001 BMW E46 Touring - Daily Driver

2007 BMW E92 335i - Weekend Driver

Thank you guys for the feedback,

The front frame was less rusty, and only required wire wheel to bare metal then Eastwood rust encapsulator on the cleaned up spots, then touch up paint - 

I cleaned up the rear glass frame, but the rust is a little more invasive there with small pinholes at each lower corner so I am going to get a quote from a body guy to clean that up. I'll update the post with some pics as well.  

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

Dammit, so you don't want the windshield frame?  I don't want to throw it out, but its big and in the way and has sharp edges.

No, but thank you very much for the offer KFunk.

new guy

help appreciated!

• 3 years later...