2002bob

Air Conditioning Hose Insulation Wrap

11 posts / 1005 viewsLast Reply

I need to wrap the air conditioning hoses (a/c) that run from the compressor to the firewall to protect them from the heat of the exhaust manifold.  Can anyone suggest an appropriate material & the source for that material?  (Yes, I searched first.  :) )

Thanks!

Bob

I bought this stuff from McMaster-Carr:

1 7293K3 Heat-Reflective Flex-and-Stay Sleeving, 1" ID 2 7293K4 Heat-Reflective Flex-and-Stay Sleeving, 1-1/4" ID        

3 feet of each, for the two hoses. Of course only usefult before evacuating and charging the system.  They do fit over the original flare fitting ends on the hoses.

I should have noted that I need something that will wind around the hoses or a slit tube that will slip over the hoses, as I don't want to disconnect the hoses.  Thanks for your reply!

Something like this maybe?

www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Products-340020-Thermaflect-Shield

My A/C hoses have never been 'covered'.  They sit along the fender, more than far enough away from my headers...  Still supple, no heat cracking after many years.

That looks great, Harold.  I had searched Amazon, but was obviously using the wrong words!

That looks great, Harold.  I had searched Amazon, but was obviously using the wrong words!

My hoses are not insulated either and I've not had problems with 'em deteriorating with the heat.  However some reflective insulation will allow the A/C to operate more efficiently--and a 2002 air conditioner needs all the help it can get.  

Equally important is insulating the hoses from each other where they touch.  They will eventually rub holes in each other--I found that out the hard way and lost some expensive R12...

Have you considered the slit foam insulation that is available to insulate household hot water pipes?  Buy at Lowes/Home Depot/local hardware store.

mike