Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

rear disc conversion Q

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone used rear calipers OTHER than VW rears that *includes* keeping the handbrake? (and I think PatA used some Subaru calipers?). VW a3 or a4 platform calipers here are a bitch to find, and the core charge is stupid high. Surprisingly, eBay rarely has anything, and vwvortex.com is kinda sparse as well. I am willing to test fit some other calipers, but if someone already has tried certain ones and know they WON'T fit, I won't bother with those. I know Porsche 914 calipers have been used in the past, but I don't believe that they retain the parking brake, and I think they were a bit $$$ as well.

I'll probably be able to try a bunch of Honda calipers (my brother is a mechanic at a honda dealership, so he can get toasted ones for test fitting), hopefully I can find something there? Regardless, it would be yet another option for those wanted to do the swap.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

Perfect fit.

Guest Anonymous

Haha, I actually DO have a complete set of 323i trailing arms in the shop. The issues with these is

- caliper rebuild kits are iffy, depending on the year. e30 rear's can be made to fit, but I believe you lose the handbrake. I should check, I have some e30 rears lying around.

- if you want to retain your 02 shock setup, its a real PITA. Your other option is to go with coilovers (which still require some fab work, ie, mounting points for the sway bar and coilover).

- the bigger issue with the coilovers, is that if your shock towers are 'suspect' (as mine are), then coilovers will most likely punch their way right through. Not the best thing in the world

But yes, I agree, 323i rear arms are the way to go, in a perfect world. I am still slowly working on moving a spring perch from a 02 rear arm to the 323i arm. slooooowly... :)

Matt

Guest Anonymous

The import car aftermarket place. Calipers without core were $226 for both!

Guest Anonymous

If this is for a road car don't waste time or money nothing wrong with original, if your lighter,racing or track use consider 320 rear drums, bolt on job. used to run 200hp and 900kg in weight with tii front struts and calipers and rear drums, only changed them when on one race they got so hot the rear seals melted and the brake oil leaked, took off the drums after the race, oxygen got in and the hubs exploded in flame (a can of beer put it out). We run e30 trailing arms, hubs, drive shafts with spacers and brakes now, but this is pure racing. Condider the useage before you change.

Guest Anonymous

calipers have built in parking brake and discs have correct bolt spacing.

Guest Anonymous

29-2465615.JPG

It brakes far too much, i need to add a restrictor or a brake proportioning valve. Other that this, i am well happy of the result, the hand brake cable works damm good too. Very cheap converion too.

Pat

Guest Anonymous

I used the VW ones, off of a corrado to be specific. Parking brake still works, and DAMN well too. had to go to the hardware store and find something to stop the cable (like the rubber part) from going through where it mounts (i know, hard to explain) but it really wasnt too bad. Half inch aluminum, they will line up perfectly......-Reid