• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW CCA - Jammed me up

BillWilliams
Go to solution Solved by BillWilliams,

The wife and I were looking forward to spending a few days in NJ with the BMW CCA at Oktoberfest and entering our touring in the Harmon Fischer contest (originality). We were not interested in the concours judging as we had done well in 2008.

Just a few days before leaving, we found out from the club we were not able to enter since the touring is badged as a 2000. I am ok with that but there was no explanation as to why were judged in 2008 in that category when Mike Self won.

Be that as it may, the real sad point is they will not refund our money. That was the only reason we were going.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

There should be some sort of petition were faq members sign for you to get your $$$ back. I for one believe if there is no service, then you should not have to pay...

But it's a very tough time trying to retrieve paid money...and probably simpler to make an entrant exception.

Tough break either way.

MF

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Ok, someone has messed that one up.  Seriously.

I'd make a few phone calls, myself- I'd bet you'll find someone to help.

And if not, if you paid by credit card, make a call to the card.

I am not so impressed by the modern bmwcca these days....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I talked to the concours coordinator, the man in charge of the Harmon Fischer award and the Executive Director of the CCA. Not sure whom else I can talk too.

This is a small bump in the road and we are not sweating it. Just a shame.

We were looking forward to a little rest in a nice place with some good friends. That will still happen, different time, different place.

FAQ member #5

Hi Bill.  Hope all's well.  Is is that you can't compete for that award unless your car is entered in the concours?  At last years OFest, they let non-concours cars (like mine) participate/show in the "non-judged" category - can you do that?  One or two of our non-judged cars even got awards (fan favorite, and most original, if I recall correctly?)

Regards,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Hi Bill.  Hope all's well.  Is is that you can't compete for that award unless your car is entered in the concours?  

The Harmon W. Fischer Award goes to the "Most Original Round-Taillight 2002."  There's the rub, apparently - 2000 vs. 2002

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I agree 100% with Marshall.  Go and have a good time.  Folks who haven't seen it in person will love it  - those that have will enjoy seeing it again.  There's always something new to learn about these little cars.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

John you are saying what Joe Chamberlain told me. The rub is that it was judged in 2008. I was entered into the concours as directed by the CCA but was going to exempt ourselves from being judged since we did well in 2008.

I did not go because I was a bit perturbed at the whole thing. Being considered a 2002 in 2008 and not in 2015 is the puzzle.

No worries, we all have bigger worries right?

FAQ member #5

Do you suppose the person who made the decision knows the difference between a 2000 4-door and a 2000 touring? How difficult would it be to swap your 2000 badge for a 2002 badge? After they give you the award, you swap back!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As someone who works with our college's development office fairly frequently, I will say that it's possible that the award resulted from a donation to the club that was very specific in its wording, and the club is therefore legally obligated to maintain the strict criteria of the agreement (even if it wasn't terribly well-thought-out). As Bill said, that doesn't explain the fact that his touring was allowed in 2008 but not this year--but maybe there was a legal review in the intervening years that led to the change. Regardless, I agree that greater explanation and a refund or other compensation should have been in order; it's just good customer service. 

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I'm here at the event; I'll try and find out what happened and report back to the FAQ.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite