Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

"Wrong way' distributor/cam question...

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

At some point on the e21 320, they changed the direction of rotation of the distributor. The advance mechanisms are 'backwards', and the drive gears on the distributor and cam have the opposite twist to those on a 2002. None of this, however, would make the distributor go backwards. To do that, the distributor must be mounted on the opposite side of the cam gear, which means that the distributor drive housing on those cars must be different than 2002 drive housings.

Does this sound familar to anyone? I', interested because I have an opposite-rotating 320i distributor, a nifty Mallory adjustable unit, and I'd like to use it on my 02. This would mean a new cam (shucks, the Schricks are available with either gear), and I hope, a new drive housing would do the trick. Anyone know the details?

Thanks

Mike

Guest Anonymous

The camshaft on the 320i has the rear gear going the other way around. The gear on the distributor also has a gear that goes the other way. The rear housings are similar between 02s and 320s.

Guest Anonymous

What I have often seen is a 320i distributor and cam used along with the 320i electronic ignition. It is an easy installation. No more point to adjust. In fact it replaces an aftermarket electronic ignition.

Guest Anonymous

As I have a 71 2002, 78 320I and an 83 320I all at the same time, alot of the parts are interchangeable, even the gear cover on the back.

Andy

Guest Anonymous

It's one of those multi-adjustable units. I'm just going to buy a 320i regrind, or a Schrick for a 320i, and make up a new head to swap in with the distributor.

It's a back-burner project, my car is just a shell right now.

Mike