• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Security systems, how do you prevent theft ?

gary

1 Alarm- Everyone ignores them, all they do is make noise.

2 Lojack- Are they even in business anymore?

3 Disable switch- This is the way to go, can't easily steal a non starting car, unless you have a flatbed.

4 Lock your doors - Yes, most thieves are opportunists, unlocked car is a robbery waiting to happen.

5 Keep car in garage- Out of sight out of harms way, and locked in garage with car doors locked. Alarm house.

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

One of the better theft preventions:  have a stick shift car.  While we all know how to drive stick 'cause we (mostly) own stick shift 2002s, the vast majority of folks--especially the young thieves who steal cars--don't know how to drive stick.  

But a hidden kill switch--or even one in plain sight--is a great deterrent.  

For example:  squarelights have an unused, dummy fog light switch on the instrument binnacle.  Replace the dummy with a real switch, wire either the ignition or starter wire through the switch, and then the ignition won't come on or the starter won't work unless you pull the switch out to the on position.  Roundie owners can put a real switch on the console in place of the dummy green button to achieve the same end.  

And don't forget, you have a steering wheel lock that's pretty tough.  I suspect the steering wheel will break before the lock will.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Insure it appropriately, and don't worry so much. Life is too short. 

You can also put a tracking device on it to help find it if does get stolen. 

Edited by Beemeup

Anthony

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1972 2002 Atlantik

Bunch of old airhead BMW motorcycles

Following on Mike's comment, I figure that the combination of stick shift, manual choke and attention-getting creamsicle-orange old car are all in my favor when it comes to preventing vehicle theft. It probably also helps that I only have a cheap two-shaft no-name radio in the console with no visible speakers, and I do try to park it in more visible, high-traffic locations when I'm out. 

My locks are a bit recalcitrant anyway, so rather than risk a broken key I usually just put anything of possible value in the locked trunk when the car is parked somewhere, but I actually leave the doors unlocked. I'd prefer someone opened the door to realize that there's nothing of value inside instead of smashing a window. Assuming they can figure out the door handle, that is.  :rolleyes:

And I'm fortunate that the car can sleep in a locked garage most of the time. I know not everyone has that luxury, and I would probably invest in other measures if I were back in a garage-less situation.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

When I installed my battery in the trunk, I also installed a battery cut off switch.  It is always nice when doing work when I want to disconnect the battery.  It's also my anti-theft.  Most of us can't break into a locked trunk - and we know these cars very well. 

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

A previous owner put a blinking red light on the console. It blinks whenever the ignition is off. It looks like a security system is activated, without the hassle. Works for me.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Following on Mike's comment, I figure that the combination of stick shift, manual choke and attention-getting creamsicle-orange old car are all in my favor when it comes to preventing vehicle theft. It probably also helps that I only have a cheap two-shaft no-name radio in the console with no visible speakers, and I do try to park it in more visible, high-traffic locations when I'm out.

Exactly, I figure the starting ritual for my weber is enough to discourage anyone driving it away.  The bigger risk is the more organized thefts with a flatbed or tow truck.

Pulling a fuse or ignition wire might be enough to keep a thief from starting/driving off in your car.  If they want it bad enough they'll tow it away.  Looking fwd to see what you decide.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I'm a BIG fan of kill switches, and can attest that they do work.  When I was in high school someone tried to steal our Jeep Cherokee out of the driveway, but quickly gave up when they couldn't get it started.  Found it in the morning halfway into the street with the steering column surround all broken up, but the car was still there!

Personally I prefer the in-plane-sight switches to hidden ones, because it's much easier to hide the wiring away with the rest of the stock wiring, and while there's a small chance someone might just get lucky and find an under-dash or under-seat switch, I'm pretty sure no thief on earth would guess that you need to push the cigarette lighter in before the ignition will come on!

I also like killing the ignition or fuel pump (if electrical) instead of the starter.  Probably doesn't matter that much, but I feel that killing the starter makes it more 'obvious' what's going on, and of course starters are not that tough to jumper straight from the battery under the hood anyway.

The battery (negative) cut-off in the trunk and dummy light are also great deterrent ideas too, which I fully endorse!

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy

Pedal club...Their made out of tempered steel (difficult to cut) and they sit in an awkward position

switch the coil wire with a spark plug wire at the distributor...All the wires appear to be in their natural position at first glance

As far as the flat bed: buy your own wheel boot,just like the one's that the city puts on when you have to many outstanding tickets..

These measure are far from absolute..BUT they take time and most thieves aim for low hanging fruit..

ira