Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

found an interesting phenomenon... valve cover leak causes r

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

lisafront.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

running!! so im out in the garage running the car just to warm it up, get juices flowing, and charge the battery, etc. I notice a pretty big oil leak on the leading edge of the valve cover gasket,.. its pooling oil up on top of the cover due to the fan blowing it up and over. anyways, i hit it with some brake cleaner spray, and the engine all of a sudden perks up and runs smoother. classic symptoms of an intake/vacuum leak such as youd find ... in the intake tract (manifold gaskets, etc).

now, the question is, WTF!?? obviously the intake is sucking air from the top of the head, as well as blowing oil out. or something like that. think its the valve guide seals (known to leak on decel). I guess after it cools off later I will pull the cover off and RTV the gasket (cant afford to buy a new gasket at the moment). Anyone experience this type of thing before??

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

I would guess the carb cleaner is getting through that way and making the mixture richer. Or else you have REALLY bad valve seals!

Guest Anonymous

Are you sure that you did not suck some of the cleaner into the carb through the aircleaner...cause if the carb sucks it in through the normal air intake it will cause the same effect as checking for a intake leak

Guest Anonymous

It should do pretty much the same thing if you pull the dip stick out while the engine is running.

Guest Anonymous

I like the square/round combo. The driving lights look like a good size - not too big. What kind?

Guest Anonymous

on a 2002 the valve cover vent (aka crankcase vent) goes to the air filter housing, which is pretty much at atmospheric pressure. The flow of intake air draws vent gasses into the intake system, but it is not a sealed connection.