• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question about painting aluminum

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

w763788.jpg

aluminum intake runners never looked this good even when new. This is painted right? If so what paint can be used. General rattle can stuff or do you need special stuff. Blast etch primer and paint?

Also what colour is that. A lot of the auto parts store aluminum paint looks too chrome like.

Guest Anonymous

pc_parts.htm

URL: http://www.2002haus.com/pc_parts.htm

I've seen freshly media blasted aluminum come out as clean as your picture. Perhaps that just has a clear coat over freshly blasted aluminum. It might be powder coated like what the 2002 Haus sells. I would need to see it up close to determine whether or not it is paint. Silver paint will usually have a metallic flake to it.

-Jaycen

72 tundra tii

72 agave 2002

Guest Anonymous

..with this and had great results. It doesn't have a gloss like a paint and it adheres extremely well, as long as you clean and prep the surface. It looks like new aluminum, since that is what you have when you're done - a fine layer of aluminum. It's expensive as are most of Wurth's special materials. I have also used Wurth's zink spray on new exhaust systems to make sure that scratches didn't begin rusting my new exhaust.

Guest Anonymous

That is a set of our powder coated parts installed on Mike Patterson's (rest in peace Mike) '73 Tii. That picture was at last years 02 Fest West. Too bad that car ended up on the right coast!

Guest Anonymous

exim1.jpg

Same as painting AL wheels, you can try a rattle can spray, but don't expect it to last or look good for that long. At least that stuff is not too hard to remove!

Most pro auto refinish paint lines carry products to prep aluminum for the same primers/topcoats the body panels get. These are not the same acid etch metal preps that are used on steel (no etch primer for AL).

Dupont & PPG both offer systems typical in that they consists of two steps in an "aluminum prefinishing system". First is the phosphoric acid cleaner, followed by the chromic acid conditioner. The benefit is much improved corrosion protection & adhesion for the primer/topcoat. I use it prior to epoxy primer/acrylic urethane topcoat.

The aluminum conditioners can leave an orange-ish color on the substrate. There are special clear versions of AL conditioner available if a clearcoat finish is desired. The image above is the second step (AL conditioner) being applied, these wheels were then finished with PPG Concept DCC in Malaga. Funkcy color choice too much for a street car, but cool looking on the racecar

whlrack-1.jpg

Guest Anonymous

an automotive paint store, it comes in spray cans and is specifically marked for aluminum). It's usually light grey. Then I finished off the wheels with Krylon "dull aluminum" and then Krylon clear coat. It's lasted for ten years on wheels, so it must be pretty good adhesionwise...

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

..your second photo? The wheel with the polished lip and the gray hub section. Is wheel refinishing your business? Thanks for the advice on preparation and paints and the photos.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/BMW.html

I just used the 500 degree Duplicolor engine paint (the color is called Aluminum). Most auto parts stores carry it. I did not use a self etching primer because I was not sure of its performance under high engine heat.

For wheels, I used aircraft stripper to get the old finish off. Then I used a spray can of self-etching primer. I used spray cans of Duplicolor Silver wheel paint, followed up with a thich coat of clear wheel paint (also Duplicolor spray cans). I have had the wheels with this paint for about a year and a half and they look great.

Here are a few pics of the finished products...

intake_002.jpg

tii_right_rear.jpg

For some reason it appears that this second picture doesn't want to show up. Right click on the red "x" and goto properties. Cut the URL of the pic and paste it in your browser.