Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

two questions, 1 electrical..the other unknown yet...

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Greetings...here is a list of q's..

1) while putting my fog lights together the other day, I run into some shorting in the circuit. I had bought a fog light kit, a good one too and while I have not even attached the ground yet and tried to put the battery cable back on to move the car and powerful discharge of spark was present every time I attched the positive cable. Yes the lights are attached directly to the body but I have not even put on a switch on yet after passing the lines through the relay. If I do not want to connect it to a switched power what do should I run back the same cable to the lights ? or what else ?

2) Back to the car stumbling b/n 2K-3K rpm issue. After cleaning completely a working carb, it improved, idle is about perfect but now it stumbles well below 2K rpm and morning start is a fight for about 3 minutes. When it gets warmer it runs better. Car is performing about 80% of capacity. I changed points, condensor, spark plug wires, tank is clean and had 91 octane mobil gas. Could it be the coil ? what else ? I am going to see a pro if I can't get it run good this week.

Guest Anonymous

If everything is turned off or disconnected, there should be no circuit. I would start by backtracking on what you have just installed. I would leave the light bulbs out of the foglamps just to eliminate those as a possibility.

For my wiring, I would use switched +12 for the lights. The first time you forget to turn them off will most likely end up in a dead battery. The foglights are fairly simple to wire up. Just make sure to use the relay, you don't want the hi amps through the switch itself.

Guest Anonymous

Hi -

What's a switched +12?

- t. jay

Guest Anonymous

So if you shut off your car(as in parked) there is no power going to that item.

My first foglights were not on switched power. I NEVER FORGET to turn them off. The first time I forgot to turn them off=dead battery. The second time, I just wired them into a switched +12.

Guest Anonymous

on the light switch so they'll go out with the parking lights...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

... I rewire my headlight/taillight supply through a relay so they go out when the key is off. No dead battery. Ever.