Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

How to tell difference between '68 & '69?

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I'm still trying to figure that out with mine.. but is that car in Stanford?

Guest Anonymous

then I drove by it. Couldn't resist. :)

Guest Anonymous

How do you know the production date? These early cars didn't have the build date stickers on the doors like the later cars did, so you have to date 'em by the dates stamped on various parts, like the tail light assys, instrument clusters etc.

By the VIN, your car is a fairly early "first series" 1969 car. '68 VINs run from 1660001 to approx 1662850, as the production year only ran from March/April 1978 to the end of August. I would guess your car was assembled sometime in October, as the "first series" '69s were assembled until the end of December 1968 and ended at 1664760. New emission and safety standards took effect on 1 Jan 69, and required changes in cars built after that date. That VIN was also where the factory switched over to the short neck diff, sealed CV jointed rear axles and four piston brake calipers. One small peculiarity I've noticed: '68 and first series '69 cars have a steering wheel center cover that's smooth; second series '69s have one with a circular ridge moulded into it.

Check the dates on your wheels and tail light housings (they're easy to access). My car was assembled (probably in late Jan-early Feb); the tail lights were dated 24 Jan and the wheels Dec 68. This tells me the assy line was closed down for a couple of weeks in early January 1969 (at least for USA cars) while they changed over to the newly required equipment. And if you have the original owners manual, you probably don't have the "1969 USA supplement" to it.

Hope this helps; post further questions.

Mike

Still driving 1664801, the 40th "second series" '69 off the assembly line.

Guest Anonymous

I had the same problem for as long as I owned my car. However, sometime this year (june/july) I found out that I could contact somebody in Germany to find out from their archive every bit of info they could get and the following is what I got back.

BMW 1600-2 US # 1564243 was manufactured on March 20, 1968 and delivered on March 29, 1968 to the US-importer Hoffman Motor Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada.

I would try to contact them. My contact name was Mr/Mrs Kai Jacobsen and can be reached using kai.jacobsen@bmw.de

ps. They also issue a certificate of authenticity via Mobile Tradition if you want more.

Guest Anonymous

David L of 2002 restorations, in Oregon and we found out through them incidently.

Guest Anonymous

I emailed Walter Zeicher (sp?) at Mobile Tradition for the same info. I'll try to find his email.

Guest Anonymous

Walter.Zeichner@bmw.de

Guest Anonymous

ryan_phelps.jpg

Here is the response I got from Kai about my 68....

# 1661913 BMW 2002 US was manufactured on June 29, 1968 and delivered on

July 11, 1968 to our US-importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City.

The original colour was Granada (red).

It was sold in October 1968 as a 69 model...A friend of mine has a 2000 that is a 66 and was also sold as a 68, both were local cars...

Ryan

68 02

76 02 Past parts

71 02 Currant Parts

70 1602 Future Parts