Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Price/Value check please? 73 2002

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I am new to these cars.. hoping to get into a nice example to start.

I found a 73 2002 in Oakland CA. Originally Auto, with 320i 5 speed installed, limited slip diff, Rebuilt engine (approx 1.5 years ago), Larger radiator, BBS rims, Pirelli P4000's Good mechanical condition except with non-op sunroof. Later recaros with small rip/seam issues - Paint is good but could use a few touch ups.

Repairs will need to happen on a few things.. flickering gauges when the lights are on, strange gas gauge behavior, and the speedo does not read accurately post-conversion (is there a kit for this?)

What are your thoughts on value? Owner started at $8K, but seems flexible... I plan to do any repairs myself-after years with Fiats.. this should be easy.. but I don't know what the real pros think...

Thanks in advance! :-)

Guest Anonymous

$8k is insanely high for a non-tii that has any problems.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

8k is a strong, but not crazy price for a carb'd round light. Sounds like car has some good mods, BUT, for that price level, I think it should be a turn key car= no dancing gauges( bad ground no doubt behind cluster), repaired seats, repaired sunroof, etc. Once again: this car sounds like a prefect candidate for a prepurchase inspection costing around $100.00 or less. The prepurchase inspection will get the car into the air,it can reveal suspension condition, seal integrity( somewhat confusing due to blow back- but you can see clearly leaking tranny/rear engine seal/diff, etc ). When you are in the 5k plus range for a 2002,i think it is prudent to obtain a prepurchase inspection. You/or the mechanic can then do the math and show the seller how much each inop/weak feature of the car is going to cost to replace/fix at book rates. Deduct this amount from sales price to get into a more accurate negotiating range. Seller should split cost of prepurchase inspection, IMHO, because it is useful for other potential purchasers, "it cuts to the quick" as it were, and it indicates a desire towards full disclosure.( This is not to say that a seller without a prepurchase inspection report is trying to hide anything: it is merely an objective aid to the transaction).I would like to see compression and leak down tests too if realy serious about buying the car. Unless you are well-versed with 2002s, it might not hurt to have a "2002 expert"( usually the mechanic, maybe an enthusiast friend with mechanical skills ) test drive car. Thisis to feel clutch/tranny/brakes/suspension. Ya - sounds like a lot of work, but it is a lot of money for a classic car that could have some problems not evident from a casual inspection/test drive. This is just what I would do/provide If I were going to sell my cars, and what I would look for in a car I was looking to buy. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

8k is a strong, but not crazy price for a carb'd round light. Sounds like car has some good mods, BUT, for that price level, I think it should be a turn key car= no dancing gauges( bad ground no doubt behind cluster), repaired seats, repaired sunroof, etc. Once again: this car sounds like a prefect candidate for a prepurchase inspection costing around $100.00 or less. The prepurchase inspection will get the car into the air,it can reveal suspension condition, seal integrity( somewhat confusing due to blow back- but you can see clearly leaking tranny/rear engine seal/diff, etc ). When you are in the 5k plus range for a 2002,i think it is prudent to obtain a prepurchase inspection. You/or the mechanic can then do the math and show the seller how much each inop/weak feature of the car is going to cost to replace/fix at book rates. Deduct this amount from sales price to get into a more accurate negotiating range. Seller should split cost of prepurchase inspection, IMHO, because it is useful for other potential purchasers, "it cuts to the quick" as it were, and it indicates a desire towards full disclosure.( This is not to say that a seller without a prepurchase inspection report is trying to hide anything: it is merely an objective aid to the transaction).I would like to see compression and leak down tests too if realy serious about buying the car. Unless you are well-versed with 2002s, it might not hurt to have a "2002 expert"( usually the mechanic, maybe an enthusiast friend with mechanical skills ) test drive car. Thisis to feel clutch/tranny/brakes/suspension. Ya - sounds like a lot of work, but it is a lot of money for a classic car that could have some problems not evident from a casual inspection/test drive. This is just what I would do/provide If I were going to sell my cars, and what I would look for in a car I was looking to buy. Good luck.