• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

back from the 12,000km road trip...(long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So I'm back here in Toronto, after the 3 week road trip out to the west coast. Thanks to the BC 02 owners group for the beer and meeting Zenon was definitely inspiring... genius who needs a job in the custom auto business. I know how taboo it is to drive an 02 in the snow, but I had to do it to get home. getting through the Vail pass was the true test of the 02 ability to get through anything. Roads to make note of: 119n from Yellowstone through montana (trying to keep up to a tow truck who defintely knew the road and was in a rush to get to the bar after work), 128e from the Arches, utah (following the colorado river through an amazing red rock maze),50e through nevada (aka lonliest hwy in the world), and best of all hwy 1s from the redwoods down to san fran (speeds of up to 140k down to 15k trough the hairpins and coming around one of the last left handers and overloooking the lights of sanfran with the golden gate bridge. One 02 bruise.. bent front right bumper from spinning out on the I70 trough vail colorado... chains were required to get through the pass and I had to do it in my Dunlop Sport A2's.

She's from san diego, been now to newfoundland, cape hatteras a few times, vancouver, seattle and next year I'd like her to see the florida keys to complete the four corners... time to put her away for the winter and rest up for next year.

Good to be back.

Roman

Guest Anonymous

If you go to the keys, make sure and stop by Orlando, FL and I would love to get down there in the M20-'72. I just need motivation and another '02 to drive with. Sounds like a fun trip you had, any pics?

Curtis

Guest Anonymous

I just tried to get some slides printed for my new home (gotta have those pics in the living room)

All of my sources for Cibachrome printing (or ilfochrome as it was later called) were not doing that any more.

Gotta love the EPA..... Evidently, the chemicals used are pretty nasty and therefore drove many of the processors out of the game. I found a couple of 'mail order' sites that still do it but don't like sending my originals out of my control...

Oh well...

Guest Anonymous

trunkbaby2.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/index.html

the ciba chemicals and paper isnt too bad.. its been a LONG time since ive fooled with it but as I recall it came out to around $1 per 8x10 to do my own processing. a developing drum and roller isnt much, then the chemistry, but the enlarger (i have a besseler 45XL with a color head and a soft-light B&W head, and several Nikon lenses for it). its all in cali, and im in alabama. its not for sale anyways, tho. someday i'll haul it out here and take it back up.

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

bbqdrive73.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

Glad to hear you made it home safe and the '02 survived the winter conditions relatively unscathed. You are definitely one of the hardcore '02 brotherhood and really know what these cars were created for. Maybe one day I'll take a spin out east in mine. Ahh... '02 road trips are the best.

best regards,

Zenon

P.S. Good work, the cheque is in the mail. ;-)

Guest Anonymous

bbqdrive73.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

while I could still get reasonable dough. I even thought about unloading my Nikon and Pentax 6x7 systems but just can't bear to, even though I have shot exactly three rolls of conventional film (1x 35mm, 2x 120) since I bought my CP995 in 2001.

I can't see any rational reason to hang onto home darkroom colour printing stuff - digital is far too compelling and easy. Scan it (or have it scannned), tweak it in photoslop, then photo-inkjet at home or take it to a decent lab with a lightjet. And "prosumer"-level printers are getting better all the time... When I was printing colour (Ciba and RA4), I was always just trying to hit a decent colour balance and keep the process as stable as possible so there was almost never any actual extra creative control vs a lab, other than cropping. With Ciba especially, it was too expensive to f&*% around much. I do love that irridescent quality of the super glossy Ciba paper, though!

Roman, check out the latest Minolta 35mm scanners - they have one that is pretty cheap (under $400) and has great dynamic range. The density range they can handle is maybe a bigger issue than ultimate resolution. For sharing slides on the web, though, a 1200dpi flatbed scanner that can handle transparencies is usually OK.

Now, black and white processing and printing is another deal entirely and I don't think I would ever want to give up the whole hands-on process (watching a print come up in the developer is still like magic to me) and the look and feel of silver halide print on fibre-base paper is unmatched, even though digital prints can be technically "better". I still have my enlarger and lenses (LPL 6x7 dichro and Nikkors) but even then the darkroom has been packed away for 8 years. (Oh god, no, that can't be right!?! Damn.)

regards,

Zenon

Guest Anonymous

ya I saw a review of that minolta scanner. and it looks pretty good. might pick it up when I get my tax return money.

ps bw printing is definitely therapy for me, I've just love colours these days.

I'll post pics when I scan them

Rome